Official Dublin City Marathon 2014 Thread

9 weeks from today until the Dublin City Marathon 2014.

On May 1st I weighed in at 14.5 stone for a height of 5 foot 8" and couldn’t run 200 yards without getting short of breath.

But down here in Kilcoole, and I know you’ve all heard this rap before but anyway…I have been completely rehabilitated, reinvigorated, reassimilated…and finally gonna be relocated.

So, who’s with me? Who’s going the distance this year?

@fenwaypark Feel like breaking 3? Just for the hell of it?

Best of luck @Thrawneen :clap:

Count me in buddy. Never done one before.

Thanks pal. 9 hard weeks from here on in. I’m gonna be channeling a shitload of Al Pacino to make it to the start-line in top shape.

Not signing in

Good Man, Thraw. I’ll gladly act as the Dylan Moran to your Simon Pegg if you need encouragement.

Toying with the idea but will need to pull the finger out over the next month. Doing the Phoenix Park Half Marathon on 20 September and will see how that goes. Ran 15 over the weekend, the longest distance I’ve covered since running the 26.2 in Dublin two years ago and didn’t feel too bad afterwards. Need another 4-5 long runs in the legs though if I’m going to do it though and I’m finding it difficult to find the time to do them.

Ask Sidney to do one or two for you

Come on Manuel. I’ve only committed to it after doing 5 hard miles on Sunday, 5 hard ones last night and another 5 first thing this morning. I’m still a stone or so overweight. But 9 weeks is plenty and I’d hope to have shed at least half that in a couple of weeks.
If you can run 15 NOW, you’ll piss it. I’m trying for 10 at the weekend and I imagine I’ll suffer awfully on the last leg.

As for your last part, as the man said, if you’re too busy to run, then you’re too busy.

fair fucking play thraw. if you’re still in dalkey running up and down the metals is a nice run. very tight time frame to get ready.

I was planning to do it myself but i slipped a few weeks ago and landed really hard on my gluteus maximus and any time i run now i get pains in my hip area and knee

must look for @caoimhaoin 's advice

Lads one bit of advice. Don’t do marathons. They will take months if not years off your life.

Art if you are already injured abandon immediately.

If any if ye lads are carrying a bit it’s even more hazardous.
Proverbially, run a mile.

1 Like

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1006802, member: 273”]Lads one bit of advice. Don’t do marathons. They will take months if not years off your life.

Proverbially, run a mile.[/QUOTE]
had abandoned kev, any ideas on what the injury is? is it a deep bruise ?

I always said I would not run a marathon. However, I have managed to get some consistent training done over the the past three months. Sleep is a big issue and I’m not getting great recovery so that makes me quite susceptible to injury. If I’m injury free in the last week of September, I will probably sign up.

The only races I’ve run the past few months are Parkruns. I’ve been using these as Lactate Threshold sessions and have a PB of 17.24. I intend to run Rathfarnham 5k at the end of September and would be hopeful of going sub 17.

Going to document my training here.

This morning (very early) 19miles in 2hrs 16mins or 7.10mins per mile.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1006802, member: 273”]Lads one bit of advice. Don’t do marathons. They will take months if not years off your life.

Proverbially, run a mile.[/QUOTE]

Fuck off, dickhead. I’ve done 3. How many years have I lost?

All the booze, fags and drugs have already taken years off my life anyway.

As regards carrying a bit…if the training is done, that’ll be gone by race day.

There is nothing for the amateur runner like the thrill of the Dublin City Marathon. It’s a fucking phenomenal event.

1 Like

[QUOTE=“Thrawneen, post: 1006791, member: 129”]Come on Manuel. I’ve only committed to it after doing 5 hard miles on Sunday, 5 hard ones last night and another 5 first thing this morning. I’m still a stone or so overweight. But 9 weeks is plenty and I’d hope to have shed at least half that in a couple of weeks.
If you can run 15 NOW, you’ll piss it. I’m trying for 10 at the weekend and I imagine I’ll suffer awfully on the last leg.

As for your last part, as the man said, if you’re too busy to run, then you’re too busy.[/QUOTE]

I’d get the distance fine but at this stage I’d be more focused on time as I’ve done three before - Dublin twice and New York, all three in or around the 3.50 mark. I’ve tailed off badly in all three from about the 20 mile mark, purely down to not having the miles in the legs.

[QUOTE=“Thrawneen, post: 1006618, member: 129”]9 weeks from today until the Dublin City Marathon 2014.

On May 1st I weighed in at 14.5 stone for a height of 5 foot 8" and couldn’t run 200 yards without getting short of breath.

But down here in Kilcoole, and I know you’ve all heard this rap before but anyway…I have been completely rehabilitated, reinvigorated, reassimilated…and finally gonna be relocated.

So, who’s with me? Who’s going the distance this year?

@fenwaypark Feel like breaking 3? Just for the hell of it?[/QUOTE]

Five foot eight and fourteen and a half stone!
A fat little fuck-mah-lah like you could drop fucking dead running a marathon.

[QUOTE=“Thrawneen, post: 1006816, member: 129”]Fuck off, dickhead. I’ve done 3. How many years have I lost?

All the booze, fags and drugs have already taken years off my life anyway.

As regards carrying a bit…if the training is done, that’ll be gone by race day.

There is nothing for the amateur runner like the thrill of the Dublin City Marathon. It’s a fucking phenomenal event.[/QUOTE]
Belt away. You don’t understand what your doing, and you don’t want to know so best of luck with it.

Ya, a good guess is it’s purely bruising. If it’s close to the bone and in particular a joint junction your are probably breaking it down with more movement. Nothing to worry about, just slows recovery. One Massage and/or Accupuncture session would sort you real quick.

[QUOTE=“artfoley, post: 1006796, member: 179”]fair fucking play thraw. if you’re still in dalkey running up and down the metals is a nice run. very tight time frame to get ready.

I was planning to do it myself but i slipped a few weeks ago and landed really hard on my gluteus maximus and any time i run now i get pains in my hip area and knee

must look for @caoimhaoin 's advice[/QUOTE]

I wish you a speedy recovery, mate.

I’ve done 3:46, 3:28 and 3:26 for Dublin. With minimal training.
Run faster.

@caoimhaoin One of my uncle’s pals is 74 and has run close to 150 marathons. He’ll be doing Dublin and another couple in the autumn. That’s what I want to know. Not whatever S&C bollocks you’d spout at me.

No offence, like.