Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

It’s hard to get much done in one, one hour session a week.
Last year I mostly did that, focused on only one or maybe two of the primary skills in drills then brought them into a match style drill focused on those skills.

I think this year I am going to revisit the previous weeks session at the start of the new session and have small prizes for the most improved (not the best), to encourage them to practice more outside of the set training times.

aaagghhhhhhh

That’s it. My template, which can vary.
Friday: Minimal Session - Mins - 2 days to TC Cup

Focus - Basic skills, possession, takling

Warm-Up - Mobility/Stability Circuit, Athletic Drills, 3 x 10M Acc/Dec
General Conditioning - Core in warm up, 5 x 100 20/40’s
Technical - 40M Box Kick, Pass, Move Drill. 3 x 3 mins, 1 min Rest
Strength - Squats, Push-Ups, Bridge x 20 secs, SLDL X 5, 1v1 SL push-offs X 1 Set
Technical/Decision making - None
Game Play (incorporating specific Conditioing) - 3 pitch possession Game. 3 teams, Overall points score, - losers clean up
Tactical - None

Don’t do every section every night. Keep game play limited in between games. When long breaks in between games load up on game play, full games, conditioned game etc.

the box of death was a savage drill…two lads in the middle… one lad receiving the ball, one tackling…a lad on each corner…3 footballs and you can’t give the ball from where you received it…only give the ball to the free man on the corner each time…go as hard as you can for a minute with some lad knocking the bollox out of you…great for learnign to shrug a lad off to get out in front and using your body to get between man and ball…also for settling old scores or having a few pucks at a lad…

Great drill. Also do it as a group, 8 on the outside, 8 in the middle (1 v 1).
A great one for a bit of scelping or even blindsiding someone you aren’t marking.

The Liberty Insurance Coaching Conference took place in Croke Park recently, Off the Ball had some podcasts from it that might be useful to lads. Not exactly coaching tips, but just a general overview of things that may interest. As for coaches, I would recommend it to anyone to go along to some year

At the Liberty Insurance GAA Games Development Conference at Croker, Anthony Daly, Christy O’Connor and Brian Mullins join Ger to talk about the worrying trends in GAA.
http://www.newstalk.com/player/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/Off_The_Ball_Highlights/75460/2/is_the_gaa_retirement_age_going_to_decrease_further

Some of the stuff in this is touched on elsewhere on the forum, but its worth a listen - Panel from the Liberty Insurance GAA Games Development Conference this week as Ger is joined by John Considine, Brian Ryan and Micheal Quirke.
http://www.newstalk.com/player/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/The_Panel_on_Off_the_Ball/74616/1/what_are_kerry_and_kilkenny_doing_to_develop_talent/cp_4

Re the first one, theres no fucking doubt the footballer being discussed by COC is Kernan, despite his protestations.

League Final tonight :clap:

[ATTACH=full]3152[/ATTACH]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwpTj_Z9v-c

It just does not get bigger than a West Junior B League Final against arch rivals and neighbours St Senans on their home pitch.

did you put your “going out clothes” in the gear bag

I’ll call in home for a few minutes afterwards to change.
Sideline attire will the timeless coach classic of boots, gaa socks with tracksuit pants tucked into them, club t-shirt and stop watch around my neck

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1157759, member: 1786”]I’ll call in home for a few minutes afterwards to change.
Sideline attire will the timeless coach classic of boots, gaa socks with tracksuit pants tucked into them, club t-shirt and stop watch around my neck[/QUOTE]

Are you wearing a hat - baseball or woollen?

I’ll have to consider that.
It would be foolhardy go without a hat in Foynes as the midges would ate ya

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1157763, member: 1786”]I’ll have to consider that.
It would be foolhardy go without a hat in Foynes as the midges would ate ya[/QUOTE]
In Connemara they’d ate the fucking hat as well.
Best of luck @TreatyStones

It would be foolhardy go without a hat in Foynes as the midges would ate ya[/QUOTE]
I’m baseball hat all the way. I want people to know I spent significant time in the USA!!!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdhl8lCFXag9EERFmjAftO0V2m_BxPU9TdNqAkITCHbhtfUj4LvSzwJg

make it your “thing”

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 1157759, member: 1786”]I’ll call in home for a few minutes afterwards to change.
Sideline attire will the timeless coach classic of boots, gaa socks with tracksuit pants tucked into them, club t-shirt and stop watch around my neck[/QUOTE]

being a local derby surely you’ll have the pen in hand to bludgeon the first lad who ‘collides’ with you coming over the side-line…have a notebook to make it look like the pen was not initially meant as a weapon…

@TreatyStones, have you not considered short shorts like Cian O’Neill, that Bulfin gimp with Clare and various association football assistant managers? The latter usually wearing boots, socks up to the knee, shorts and a team zippy tracksuit top.

We know you did time in the states