Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

You can use strategically placed questions to help guide the learning process. The can find the answers you just need to point them in the right direction.

An example of this approach would be, after a misplaced pass, you gather the players in, you look the passer in the eye and then ask “why the fuck did you do that you thick cunt”?

12 Likes

Thats a great bit of coaching there.

What I like to do is a gamesbased analysis by utilising a player review of the process. I ask the lad who’s made the mistake to stand out in the middle of the group, do what he did wrong again, and then get the players to pick apart every aspect of the play until he’s a shallow husk of a man and in tears leaving the field.

God if you listened to some of them you’d stay at home because everything being done is wrong. Iv never got the chance to talk to every player at a session and taking out the warm up you would have about 45 minutes for each training session three times a week, means you can max do two things maybe three things in a session. Try do 2 sessions all game stuff and then 1 basic skills session the skills session you’d be murdered by some lads on twitter but lads need that too, its a hobby at the end of the day. Hard train hard every night too.

Very hard to drill down to individuals unless you have an army of lads with you or you meet them on different nights of the week from training.

When I hear process in hurling though I switch off straight away, I just think spoofer!

1 Like

Yeah 100% true. Was training adults on half a juvenile Astro in the winter. One step above sitting on the couch with a cup of tea for the evening.
10 minutes of basics and as much striking as possible should be in every session, can do as part of the warm up if you like but needs to be done.
90% of competitions in Dublin will be won by the team who can execute the basics the best at quickest speed bar top couple of Senior levels.

3 Likes

Completely unfair advantage for muldoons through their lack of population. We need more funding for longer pitches or to develop puck corridors.

5 Likes

The Wexford senior team used to do the old school “man on each sideline & drive it over & back off each side” drill.

Most of the time would be taken up with lads trotting 30 yards infield to collect dribbly, mishit strikes from the other side.

4 Likes

You forgot to blame the split season for that lad.

Jarly mór thanked the people with gaa posts in their back garden. There would be some amount of knocking in 4 doors down to ask for the ball back if they tried that in Dublin.

2 Likes

We were playing games like that with Warwickshire 11 years ago. Mainly because we hadn’t the numbers at training for a full game.

1 Like

Did you consider posting it on twitter?

Twitter wasn’t a thing back then. We didn’t want other counties to get wind of our innovations

1 Like

https://x.com/SeanFlynn85/status/1822720518732104015

Anyone attend?

1 Like

Has anyone ever considered how one could adopt/utilise the learnings of Arrigo Saachi to scoring from a sideline ball?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Questions for anyone who’s used teamer or any similar team organization app

With teamer do you need all the parents email addresses to add them to the team group or will phone numbers do?
If you do need email addresses is there another simpler app?

U12 girls GAA. 40 odd players. We’ve been just using Whatsapp polls all along but now have two teams in two sports both going to different venues every week with different players on each team each week.

Try Clubzap

1 Like

Can’t make head nor tail of it. My club is already on it but can’t see how you’d make a new team etc

I’m not a super user but as a coach/manager you can set up new groups from within the ‘chat’ feature by adding parents using their phone number

Teamer is clunky enough. Parents get an email invite to matches rather than a text/whatsapp. It means some very slow responses and often no response. Clubzap is better if you can get it set up.

1 Like

I was struck by two thoughts lately

1. u6s to u8s hurling. Is there any sport in the World where for the first 2-4 years you train solely for the sport by doing a skill that is used maybe 2 or 3 times a game when you get to adult level. i.e. ground hurling.
    Not saying it’s wrong or anything, it would obviously be very hard to get kids to hit it off their hands at 6, but it is peculiar.
    Like the first 4 years of Rugby being entirely about drop kicking the ball or something.

2. Being equally good left and right is obviously an admirable goal. But if a kid is learning and they can’t hit it for shit off their good side, is there any point trying to work on their bad side at the same time. Same goes for football. I mean we’d love to be fielding 15 Maurice Fitz’s but a lad who is equally shit with both legs isn’t much use to anyone either.
    Is double sidedness/double footedness overstated in importance? I mean you can maybe think of a handful of intercounty players that can do it off the top of your head. And if you have a kid who is that level, then of course you absolutely work on both legs/sides. But there’s plenty intercounty players getting by just fine on one leg or side. The majority of them in fact I would say

3 Likes