Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

Ye may as well try and bate them with yer under-11’s, yer intermediates weren’t up to it.

Ye made a show of yerselves in the final…

You’re some man for the name calling Kev.

+1 kevs new age hippy shite won’t wash in south galway. Important to teach them to hate as soon as they can talk.

5 Likes

Parochial hatred is the backbone of the GAA

2 Likes

along with small mindedness, bitterness and an inability to accept change

Ways to improve players ability to take scores under pressure? Working that extra little bit of space in order to get a shot away. Any suggestions?

Threat of the bench should work wonders.

:rollseyes:

Dummy solo off left and right
Dummy hand pass and bounce with holding hand
Lean in towards defender and push off defender with strong arm to manoeuvre space
Kicking style needs to change to avoid blocking. Work on snapshots or kicks over the block.

Underage?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zH5QAKzJ_s&feature=player_embedded
That’s a basic enough one just to get them shooting on sight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbIUcplK29g&feature=player_embedded
This has the graduation but you’re encouraging them to get the shot away

Should have clarified, hurling.

All those things are things that could apply to hurling, if adjusted, but I’m more asking for drills/sessions that could be used to get people used to doing those things. Small 3 vs 3 sessions in tight enough confines could work, but I’m wondering whether others have done things and seen improvements in their players?

Nonsense.

Thats giving the player the movement solution.

Thus taking away a critical component of the decision making process.

This thread is going to make me cry

2 Likes

What is the problem is your first question.

Specifically.

What is not happening?

What part of the pitch?

What age group?

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

“Working that extra little bit of space in order to get a shot away”

What part of “giving the solution” do you not understand?

Jaysus lads, no need to be getting ratty with each other.

I’m not coaching any team at the moment, but I’m helping out a bit with our adult grade teams and I might get involved with coaching one of the younger teams maybe next year when I have a bit more time. Obviously the way you coach underage teams and adult teams won’t be the same but I’m just looking for ideas for the moment.

I think it’s something that is endemic across a lot of teams from U-14 right up to adults, bar the very best players. Our forwards, half-forwards & inside forwards alike, are grand at picking off scores in challenge games but when the pressure is on against the better teams, they struggle to get their shots away cleanly. A mixture of making the wrong decisions, or just not being able to get a clean strike away when faced with a marker. We drop an awful lot of shots short that probably should be going over the bar.

I imagine these issues are widespread across the country, at all levels. The teams with forwards who can score regularly from play win games. The higher level you go, the higher the intensity gets and the same players who are able to do it at club level are the ones who struggle with the same thing at intercounty level.

Train how you want to play.

Creat decision based games.

Play games where forwards are always outnumber 6 to 4. Hit ball in from all sorts of positions.

Maybe have a battle game at one end of the pitch between 45 & 65 (as in within that rectangle). Put a pass constraint or a time constraint on them. Lets say its 8v8. Then ball is delivered into the 4v6 at the otger end and they have to work a score. Players will figure it out. But don’t give them answers. Maybe some individual pointers and feedback, but force them to come up with the answers

Repetition without repetition.

3 Likes

I despair that GAA coaches everywhere are still using drills for everything.

Its lazy coaching and its ruining games and the fun of it.

2 Likes