Official TFK GAA Coaches Corner

What sort of young lad will get any satisfaction out of winning a 4th grade medal at anything, ffs sake, most lads at that level won’t be able to tie their shoelaces.

I agree but that is another argument .

Ridiculous comment

Will you whist man, here he comes

Division 3 finals are often the most difficult to win.

5 Likes

No its not. Its the one i am making.

Playing for a 4th team is a joke

Why ??

Now @TreatyStones
I was only codding,
Small club is fine, but a young lad playing on the d team in his own club is gonna be a bit dispirited

Because men have ego’s and young fellas are cruel. Have you worked with u derage?

Playing with a clubs 2nd team isn’t too bad, esoecially a big club.

Playing with a 4th is mental.

As backinatracksuit says, this is different to a small club winning a Grade C or D comp.

But in terms of overall GAA player retention Crokes as a club makes no sense.

Thats not to take away from crokes. But it should be taken out of their hands

Maybe its more about particapation than winning for lads at that level. Fair play to Crokes, they are obviously doing the right things. Lads have plenty of alternative options at that age. Maybe others should be asking themselves how they could do likewise.

1 Like

I get that at adult level, but the D team at minor level is a tough break, now don’t get me wrong, if there’s enough players I don’t see any other option, but still and all…

Its not about Crokes. They are indeed doing their best.

GAA should be taking control in that oart of the city.

As a crokes member on here said, its too big.

I have a mate who brings his kid there and they are not from the area at all. Just the place to be.

Nah, they are doing more than that. There is a reason why their numbers are so strong and why parents are gravitating towards them.

If you broke them up into 2 or 3 clubs you are punishing them for simply being good at what they do.

There are clubs in towns and rural areas that are underachieving and failing to retain numbers. GAA should be looking at that, rather than penalising the clubs that have their house in order. All imho.

Is it about developing Crokes or the GAA in the area.

Well done on doing a good job. Just do it over here. Or wherever.

I agree other towns could be doing more. None with pop of Crokes area though i imagine. But GAA fo not give a fuck. Look at Ballincollig. 1 mess of a club in a town that should have 2

If 4 minor teams every year how does transfer to adults teams. You’d need 20 in 8 years.

Completely unrealistic and unsustainable

Retention and participation are the bottom line with sport. And thats what the GAA should be looking at.

How many of those 80 Minors will play adult?
However if there was 2 groups of 35-40 in 2 clubs you would retain more.

Lads simply won’t play Junior D or E

1 Like

I agree with you that a lot of the “super clubs” in Dublin are behemoths now but good luck with setting up smaller clubs eating in to their turf .

Fuck sake, I thought we were talking about the Crokes in Killarney :confused::grinning:

Not smaller. Split in 2 or 3.

No choice. GAA call for vetter of the sports and community development.

This happens all over the world.

And don’t give me the parish lark, does not count in dublin

Sure Killarney hinterland has 4-5 clubs. Nice enough balance there. Legion,Fossa and Kilcummin do very well out of expanding suburbs.

The GAA is not structured for a city as big as Dublin. You need physical boundaries along with a sense of community to form a real gaa club that is sustainable. Can’t happen in Dublin and the Croke’s model is to-be admired undr the circumstances, as they do provide an excellent outlet to so many in scc to play gaa sports.
Always a few beginner clubs starting around Dublin but no sense of community just groups of lads and that is not sustainable.
Brings the whole throwing money at Dublin gaa issue to the fore, its not going to work as the structures for sustainable growth aren’t there to facilitate involvement thru the ages and on after that.

2 Likes