On this day

The issuing of a winding up order and the actual liquidation/winding up of a company are two completely separate matters.
A group of local business men paid the debts of Newton Heath and rebranded the company as Manchester United, like Marathon became Snickers, Opal Fruits became Starburst, Sid Waddell became Sidney, Eircom became Eir, Bruce became Caitlyn, Frank became Kellie…

Pal, I doubt there’s anything you can teach me about Tottenham Hotspur that I don’t know already. You really need to go off and brush up on the history of your beloved Man U, you’re all over the place here.

You’re really scrapping the barrel asserting that Spurs 1960/61 bought the double. Did you know there was once a maximum wage in English football? Spurs 1960/61 were effectively the last side to win a league title under the maximum wage. The minimum wage was abolished on 1 January 1961, but all of the Spurs double winning team were on board by then. Your home grown Man U title winning team of 1967 did have one Denis Law from Aberdeen in the ranks, British football’s most expensive player and indeed the first £100,000 footballer.

The original Mutiny on the Bounty occurred 227 years ago today - fact. Fletcher Christian rebelled against a dictatorial adjudicator and set out for Tournafulla only to end up in Pallasgreen.

2 Likes

From the record signings of Denis Law to Bryan Robson to Gary Pallister to Roy Keane to Andy Cole to Ruud van Nistelrooy to Juan Sebastian Veron to Rio Ferdinand to Wayne Rooney to Angel Di Maria, Manchester United have always been primarily about flashing the cash to try and buy success.

You could have started with Albert Quixall in 1958. Quixall broke the transfer record between two British clubs when he moved from Sheffield Wednesday to Man U for £45,000. That was some four years before Denis Law joined from Torino for a record £115,000.

Minimum wage?? Deary me a schoolboy error, I’ll put that down to you being a little rattled buddy. I am aware that the maximum wage for footballers was abolished in 1961. Sadly the bulk of that squad were not schoolboys at the Hotspurs and were purchased ( there was no such restriction on transfer fees), therefore the double was bought.

Denis Law was the first £100,000 player when Torino bought him from the bitters. Indeed the bitters paid Huddersfield a record fee of for him also.
I note the Hotspurs paid £99,999 for Jimmy Greaves in 1961, an astronomical fee at the time. They also were the first club to pay £200,000 for a player, Martin Peters in 1970.

It should also be noted that Manchester United have had a graduate from their youth system in every single match day squad since October 30, 1937. From the Busby Bates to Fergie’s Fledglings to Giggsy’s Goslings United have always nurtured their youth players.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t know what you are even discussing anymore. A bit like your ramblings on the Tottenham Hotspur thread yesterday, you’re all over the place here. You’ve moved what was meant to be a discussion on matters pertaining to 27 April, from Denis Law’s goal on 27 April 1974 (which I first mentioned) to marathon running, to Spurs drawing with West Brom on Monday night, to your mistaken belief that Man U were founded in 1878, to the merits of the Spurs double winning side of 1960/61, to what you feel to be Man U’s frugal policy when it comes to the transfer market.

Stage 3 at a minimum, night buddy.

Jimmy Greaves wasn’t part of the double team in 1960/61. He was bought in the summer of 1961. I don’t really know why you are so worked up about Spurs spending policy over 50 years ago in the early 1960’s. Spurs have been largely a basket case for most of the past 25 years since Irving Scholar and Alan Sugar ran it into the ground. Why stop with Spurs in the 1960’s. They were lashing the cash around in the North East when Sunderland broke the transfer record to sign Len Shackleton from Newcastle in 1948 and Alf Common broke the record going from Sunderland to Middlesbrough in 1905.

As the list from @Sidney a few posts back documents, for nearly 60 years now from Albert Quixall in 1958, year in year out, other clubs go through peaks and most of the time troughs, but Man U are the one ever present heavyweight when it comes to lashing the cash about and buying success.

Its a fair old trick convincing the world that Man U are all about nurturing youth team players just because for large stretches of that 80 year stretch you refer to they have some kid from Altrincham, Sale or Stretford warming his arse on the bench. Its a bit like the kid that never missed a day of primary or secondary school in 14 years.

Utterly fucking tragic

3 Likes

Norman Bates job

If there’s any Admins on duty around here each one should be suspended for a period unless they apologise in the next 24 hours.

Sorry for getting dragged into it mate. I let myself down badly. It was late at night, I was on night duty with an unsettled and sick toddler, but beyond that I can’t offer much by way of excuses or a plea in mitigation. As you acknowledged yourself, my initial post (which was on topic to ‘On this Day’ 27 April 2014’) Denis Law’s goal was quite the clamping on a gloating ‘he only sings when they’re winning’ Man U fan. I should have just left it at that but Man U fans have to have the last words on everything and the last word wasn’t going to be left on the subject of Man U’s humiliating relegation in 1974.

I’m prepared to serve whatever suspension or disciplinary sanction which may now ensue.

2 Likes

No need to self flagellate buddy, you fought the good fight and lost, hopefully you’ll learn from this experience and come back better and stronger, I have no doubt that TFK will be the real winner going forward.

I would expect better from @Mullach_Ide than get involved in something so unseemly.

Was Geoffrey really trying to argue the point that Man United were tog shitters when it came to winning trophies?

Stop, just fucking stop. Its over. Let it go.

I don’t blame you if can’t be arsed reading back through it. Essentially, I posted that ‘On this Day’ in 1974, Man U were relegated, which seemed a fairly valid and on point observation to make in this particular thread.

Man U fan @Mullach_Ide essentially couldn’t stomach ‘relegation’ and his beloved ‘Man U’ in the same sentence and threw all the toys out of the pram. He proceeded to muddy the waters by throwing just about every gripe he’s had on the forum into the mix. Marathon running, Man U’s home attendance figures in 1976, the disputed year of Man U’s foundation and centenary, Spurs double winning side of 1960/61, Man U’s apparent unrivaled devotion to developing home grown talent, Man U’s frugal policy in the transfer market down to Spurs drawing 1-1 with West Brom on Monday night all got an airing.

Stage 4 and rising :joy::joy:

Hope he is close to a toilet

2 Likes

Fuck you @horsebox you cunt. Fuck you.