On this day

When you grew up with 2 channels it was a staple of Xmas on RTÉ when I was young. Usually Xmas eve too

1 Like

CHRISTMAS ,IT’S FUCKING CHRISTMAS

2 Likes

Not on a Nokia !

215 years ago today The Irish Rover set sail from Cobh.

1 Like

Becks and Posh tied the knot 22 years ago today.

And they thought it wouldn’t last.

2 Likes

In a quirk of fate, I shall be dining today at their wedding venue. This will be gold for my social media check in.

Five years ago today I was in Wimbledon for the one and only time. Won tickets in the ballot which transpired to be front row in the Centre Court. It was one of the more spectacular spectating moments of my sporting life.

14 Likes

On this day 40 years ago REM released their debut single Radio Free Europe.

Cc @farmerinthecity

5 Likes

You let yourself down that day, big time.

external-content.duckduckgo.com

Big Waherford head on you…

tenor (54)

The ice age ended

1 Like

July 19th: Covid becomes marathon.

1 Like

Who was playing?

Kyrgios, Murray, Federer and Serena Williams amongst others.

2 Likes

Liverpool lifted the EPL trophy on the Kop. And our youngest was born

:heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Happy birthday to little Jurgen

3 Likes

25 years ago today, 22 July 1996, Michelle Smith de Bruin struck gold in the 400 metres freestyle at the Georgia Tech Aquatic Centre.

2 Likes

Good thread. A few lads here could do with reading it.

1. I was in US when Norwegian white nationalist terrorist – fueled by hatred of “multiculturalism” – killed so many. For hours, CNN experts refused to believe that this could have been done by anyone other than a Muslim. They even speculated about “Norwegian Al Qaeda.” #Utøya

1. That the violent radicalization of a white man could happen “in a country like Norway” seemed utterly alien to so much of the international media. It spoke to a chronic naivete about the depths of racism and hatred in European society. A naivete that would be exposed further.

2. In the decade that passed since that day in Norway, the ideas that the terrorist espoused have not been erased or marginalized, they have become mainstreamed and amplified. The politics of hatred no longer relegated to online “manifestos” but to open party political platforms.

3. As an American, connections between the ideology behind #Utøya and what has happened in my country are crystal clear. The vilification of Muslims as policy. Racism as a political strategy. Hatred of a vague “elite” who wish to undermine “white culture” via PC multiculturalism.

4. When people who oppose racism are framed as traitors and the problem, and when racist views are increasingly mainstreamed via media who treat these views as legitimate in the name of objectivity and neutrality, the bar for what is acceptable is lowered daily. #Utøya

5. Let’s not be naive ourselves. Racism and hatred are not new. They have always been there, waiting to be leveraged. What has shifted is the openness with which that hatred is expressed, and the extent to which politicians and media are willing to tolerate open bigotry. #Utøya

6. So many Norwegians will express what #Utøya meant for that nation, and the pain. But what is clear to me is that the well-worn argument about understanding the importance and role of language in the service of hatred has not been learned. It has been willfully ignored.

7. When footballers who take a knee against racism are smeared as nation-hating Marxists, the rhetorical line back to Norway a decade ago is clear. Does that mean those who complain about kneeling want people dead? No. But that’s not an acceptable excuse to ignore the connection.

8. The 10th anniversary of #Utøya is a moment to think about connections. To think about how speech and politics sow seeds. About how the search for power, indifference and false “balance” help those seeds to germinate. About how once doors are opened, it is often too late.