On this day

Was that a midweek match? Used to love the intl matches where you’d to tear home from school in time for kick off.

1 Like

You did well to be home in time for this kick off time, unless you were in Junior Infants I suppose.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas1990-00/1990-91/M0667RIr1990.html

1 Like

1:30 on a Wednesday, mad.

Alan McLoughlin, won that ball back to give it to Stan to do his usual “cross from the halfway line” trick. A man who had a lovely habit of doing a job when needed. God rest his soul.

I got the golden ticket from my parents, ie. a signed note to allow me to go home at 1pm that day.

Not quite as golden as a ticket to the match. But at least I saw it, which I did not when we beat the North 3-0 in October '89 which was a 1pm kick-off. I did get the golden ticket for the England friendly in February '95. And what a view of the action I had, South Terrace down the side where it all kicked off.

Poland in May '91 was another 1:30pm kickoff, or was it 2pm. That was the day that cost us qualification.

I’m certain there were nearly mini-riots in the streets when Elverys ran out of tickets for the 1990 England match. You used to be able to just walk in off the street and buy them. But most of Dublin was in the queue.

The gravitas off that Brian Moore/Jimmy Greaves commentary. :heart: ITV used to show all Ireland’s competitive home matches in those days.

4 Likes

@Pirlo

13 years ago today. Cheating sack of shit.

17 years since this.

5 Likes

59 years ago. Walter Cronkite was not long after letting a shocked nation know of the untimely passing of JFK.

2 Likes

It was 100 years yesterday that Liam Mellows was murdered. There’s always a memorial service at his grave in Castletown in North Wexford every year. This year being a special one they dialled up the activity.

However I’m very confused. Bertie Ahern and a bunch of FF cronies were down celebrating Liam’s life at an 11am oration yesterday morning. And then at 2pm Mary Lou and a bunch of SF rascals were also hosting a ceremony to celebrate his life. I can’t recall seeing the 2 parties laying claim to the same person before. Who has a bigger claim to him?

Isn’t that always happening?

I’ve never noticed it before but maybe it is

On this day in 1915 Frank Sinatra was born in Hoboken New Jersey.
He shared his birthday - day and year with a local character roundly vilified by McGahern in TTMFTRS.
However on Sinatra’s passing our man commented “I mightn’t have made his money or ridden as many women but I outlived the fucker”.

6 Likes

Same thing happened at the Solohead ambush centenary a few years back. I think there were three seperate commerations over the space of 24 hours. The official state/FF commemoration, a SF one, and the local old IRA one. @peddlerscross would know more

1 Like

The Soloheadbeg Ambush commemoration in January 2019 was tremendous fun.

I think @Fagan_ODowd and @johnnysachs went to a mass in the Church in Solohead in the morning. I can’t remember who was speaking at that one but think it was some political heavyweight.

I walked over to the ambush site itself in the afternoon for the Old Sinn Fein/IRA one. Yer man Derek Warfield of the Wolfe Tones was singing at it. Harmless enough stuff.

In between a load of Saoradh lunatics from Bellaghy or somewhere came on a bus with guns, balaclavas and all sorts marching up and down the road firing shots off into the air. It was absolutely terrifying.

5 Likes

I was at it and so was @johnnysachs (sporting a Chicago Bears hat). Josepha Madigan spoke and gave a maundering excuse for a speech. Eamon O Cuiv then spoke and blew her out of it.
Tremendous day out. Met Mattie McGrath and bought a hurley shaped souvenir of the day.

3 Likes

I was at the Liam Lynch 50th anniversary memorial in 1973 up at the monument. There was gangs of Provos down from the North with balaclavas and guns.

1 Like

The Nordies bring a serious cut to proceedings wherever they go.

1 Like