On this day

Football has nothing to do with Premier League football. It’s all about those patented Premier League Moments™.

Why watch football, when you can have never tedious conversations about never tedious managerial mind games or players throwing pizza (pizza slices, not full pizzas) at each other. These are the type of incidents that really decide title races.

What tends to get overlooked with the passing years is that Newcastle had already more or less lost it by the time Kev got tired and emotional for the cameras. Man U had beaten Notts Forest at home 5-0 the day before in their penultimate game to move 3 points ahead and a goal difference of something like 6 better. As Kev alluded to in the interview, Man U had to go to Middlesbrough last day. Newcastle were at home to Spurs last day and had a game in hand to make up away to Notts Forest before that. Newcastle drew both their last two games 1-1 and Man U won 3-0 at Middlesbrough to finish 4 points ahead.

Its obviously a special day for rants as on this day last year Nigel Pearson called a reporter an Ostrich

1 Like

I would love it, love it, if King Kev was on the Late Late Show tonight.

1 Like

6 years since the radio died. Fare thee well cokehead.

1 Like

40 years ago today, 1 May 1976, Man U (who had just finished 3rd in the 1st Division) were humiliated in the FA Cup Final losing to Southampton (who had finished 6th in the 2nd division). In 134 FA Cup finals, a team from outside of the top flight has only lifted the Cup on 8 occasions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HEHXl96Tr8

On this day in 1994
The Brazilian racing driver Ayrton Senna has was killed in a crash at the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola, near Bologna in Italy. He was just 34-years-old.
His Williams FW16 Formula One car was travelling at a speed of 192 mph (309 km/h) when it ran wide at a curve and crashed into a concrete wall.

The biggest Serie A match of all time. May 1st 1988.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzGXPY5dUy4

2nd may 2016
A screaming mary hipster from limerick urgently contacted via tfk a balding retired Waterford man he’d never met to help him in his quest for cheap imported falafel.

2016 what a time to be alive.

4 Likes

May 3rd 1916 Pádraic Pearse, Thomas Clarke & Thomas MacDonagh were executed in the Stonecutters Yard at Kilmainham Jail.
The first of the leaders of the Rising to be executed.

It was said of MacDonagh “They all died well but MacDonagh died like a Prince.”

I posted the poem below by Pearse before, it’s a poem that has always struck a chord with me

I do not grudge them: Lord, I do not grudge
My two strong sons that I have seen go out
To break their strength and die, they and a few,
In bloody protest for a glorious thing,
They shall be spoken of among their people,
The generations shall remember them,
And call them blessed;
But I will speak their names to my own heart
In the long nights;
The little names that were familiar once
Round my dead hearth.
Lord, thou art hard on mothers:
We suffer in their coming and their going;
And tho’ I grudge them not, I weary, weary
Of the long sorrow - And yet I have my joy:
My sons were faithful, and they fought.

2 Likes

100 years ago this evening Grace Gifford was taken to Kilmainham Gaol where she married her childhood sweetheart Joseph Plunkett, held under sentence of death for his part in the Easter Rising.

The two were married with British soldiers as witnesses who refused them any time alone after the ceremony and she was led from the prison. It was the last time she would see Joe alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Skg36SrAG4

1 Like

Do you know how many of these soldiers witnessed the wedding?

In 1966 Borussia Dortmund beat Liverpool 2-1 at Hampden Park in the UEFA Cup final.

Borussia attempted a lap of honour but it was called off when the Liverpool crowd began throwing bottles. About 20 fans were arrested.

3 Likes

Cup Winnners Cup ?

Dont be so quick, they may have handed out the wrong trophy by accident.

Was it not the Fairs Cup back then? Might have had a different trophy

That is the old Cup Winners Cup trophy. Wonder what happened that when they scrapped the competition. Liverpool won FA Cup in 1965, and leagues either side in 1964 & 1966. It was the first big run for Shankly.

2 Likes

It was the fairs cup.

A hooker. In clonmel :cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat: