Only the 2022 National Hurling League? Only the Allianz 2022 National Hurling League

But this is the point here, and a real GAA thing with appeals and trying to get off. Gleeson has form for this kind of petulant shit and is being excused the whole time and defended. The whataboutery and highlighting other incidents doesnt deflect from the fact that he intentionally struck someone, at the end of a game they were winning comfortably, and yet he still doesnt learn from it. Its a league final, but could have been worse for championship, but its time he copped on and instead of mollycoddling him, acknowledge the stupidity of it and stop putting himself and Waterford in these situations

5 Likes

I agree it was completely brain dead, Donahue riled him but he should have known better than take the bait. I hope Cahill hopped off him afterwards. But the double standards in the commentary and the inconsistency in the application of rules yet again needs to be highlighted. John McGrath had his red card rescinded for a similar incident

1 Like

Nah.

Austin has too much previous. Cahill should have had him taken off beforehand too in reality.

Waterford are pretty much the only county that has ever accepted any suspensions over the last 20 years.

What previous? I can’t remember him getting the line before (I’m sure he has)

It wasn’t a similar incident. John McGrath was foolish but he was just trying to get the ball back

He flicked out with the hurl. What was he foolish about if only trying to get the ball back?

Was it a flick though?

Because the player had the ball in his hand. His aim was to get the ball back. He was foolish to attempt to hit the ball out of the player’s hand

By flicking him with the hurley?

He hit him on the hand where he was holding the ball to try to get the ball back. Fairly obvious

1 Like

Nonsense

Liams reaction to the incident tells me it’s not nonsense.

How many times has he been sent off for Waterford?

Ok but the principle is still the same, both flicked at their opponent with the hurley when the game wasn’t in play. McGrath and Gleeson both reported for ‘striking with minimal force’…McGrath had his card rescinded, it’ll be interesting to see what becomes of Gleeson

Austin has reacted before in situations where his team either were being romped or in the ascendancy.

He seems to lose his cool or focus and get drawn into these situations where a dig is given.

They were home & hosed. He shouldn’t be reacting & in hindsight management should have had him out of it.

Better to sort this now than in a Munster Final or latter stages of Championship but with his experience he should know better.

You ask when has he been sent off before? I’ll counter, is it his first time being involved in such incidents for club or county? Regardless of being punished?

Hindsight is a great thing as long as you admit its in hindsight. By the same logic John Kiely should be taking Gillane off the second they go 6 points up in a game

1 Like

Kiely tbf isn’t afraid to drop him.

Austin is absolutely box office.

If he’s cleared to play Saturday night I’ll probably tip over to see it, but if he isnt then i probably wont bother.

2 Likes

Yeah but the ball was dead kid. Better off letting it go.