Opinion: Cillian O Connor

His little brother is already a better and dirtier player.

I think he scored 34 points in 5 all Ireland finals. Thatā€™s not bad for a bottler. 4 of those finals were against Dublin.

I said he was rated correctly because everyone knows heā€™s as soft as shite.

1 Like

He got 3-09 against Division 4 Limerick in a 2018 qualifier. Games like that will always puff up his scoring record.

Heā€™s a decent forward, probably the best Mayo had in years but still miles off one of the best ones of his era.

For allegedly leading the coup against Holmes & Connelly I consider him a bit of a prick with an opinion of himself that doesnā€™t match his ability.

2 Likes

Heā€™s not as good as Andy Moran and I rate him higher than most on here

Wasnā€™t he the fella that had the cut off Kevin McStay

Andy Moran had a fairly underwhelming career before having a couple of Indian summers at the tail end of his career when he was a real threat inside and had game smarts and intelligence that are not usually associated with Mayo forwards.

5 Likes

He racks up big scores against everyone.

For someone whoā€™s not that quick or big, heā€™s done pretty well to be already miles ahead in the All time leading scorers charts at just 27.

Heā€™s 21 points clear of Gooch despite playing over 20 games less in his career.

1 Like

Yeah he said McStay wasnā€™t really in the army, just the cadets.

Iā€™m probably doing him a disservice but he seems to tap over four or five frees in front of the goals on the 21 yard line, in every match.

Surprised to hear heā€™s only 27, thought heā€™d be a few years older than that.

1 Like

Decent but a bit mechanical.

Wouldnā€™t make the county team if he was born 30 miles to the south.

2 Likes

Think he won YHOTY three years in a row so heā€™s on the road a while

Twice. Won it at 19 and 20. Unlucky to lose out to Jack Mccaffrey at 21.

His brother won it twice too.

He would be 28 this year.

A hat trick against London in a Connacht final too.

Look heā€™s a limited player who gets the best out of himself. A horrible little sneaky, whingy fucker always up in the refs face. Impossible to like.

He owes his scoring so much to tap over frees due to the hard, fearless running game Mayo play which garners so many tap over points in front of the posts.

7 Likes

I think he won the YFOTY a couple of times as well.

6 Likes

Itā€™s crazy how a football mad county like Mayo havenā€™t produced even one top drawer forward in the last 30 years.

Theyā€™ve never had a Connolly, Brogan, Oā€™Rourke, Linden, Canavan, Declan Browne etc.

In fact a lot of time theyā€™ve not even had above average forwards.

1 Like

McDonald was the one class forward they had but he was more of a playmaker and could be too indulgent at times but was a joy to watch.

1 Like

Iā€™ll tell you who I always thought was over rated was McFadden for Donegal. Andy Moran was good and had energy but seemed to be a bit of a late developer, which is a shame. Maybe he could have been one of the greats.

As you say, he wasnā€™t really a prolific finisher. Heā€™d be more pulling the strings. Great player though, just never had the support.

The likes of Ian Ryan, the chunky lad from Fermanagh, Mattie Forde and McNamee from Offaly would all have walked into various Mayo teams and been hailed as superstars.

They just never had an A rated top level forward whoā€™d guarantee scores, even on a bad day.

1 Like

I thought Aidan Oā€™Shea would have been a star for any team in the country. A far far better player than COC.