Opinion: Tj Reid

Very likely true. Kilkenny win on a scoreline something like 3-25 to 1-29.

Ye don’t have the firepower to post 3-25 on Limerick.

TJ is a better player but I think prime Callanan would be a much better choice at full forward any day

Kilkenny need a 100% fit Adrian Mullen in two weeks time.

Richie Reid is the best of what they have but is not big enough at this level.

1 Like

Perfect sense talked there. RR would be a better wing back. Pity Conor Delaney never got a run at centre back.

No obvious centre back emerging. I would have tried Darragh Corcoran there. David Blanchfield might end up there by default.

Blanchfield marking Hego in the Final could be very good.

Blanchfield laid down a marker there last year with that catch and point. That could get inside Hego’s head.

It’ll be:

Butler v Casey
Lawlor v Gillane
Walsh v Flanagan
Deegan v Morrissey
Reid v Reidy
Blanchfield v Hego

Spot on on both counts.

David Blanchfield is a better wing back, too one sided for that position at county level.

1 Like

Wasn’t it Blanchfield that Hego fucked out of the way and stuck the ball over the bar from 70 yards near the end of the match last year? That could get inside Blanchfield’s head.

9 Likes

If they are both inside in each others heads are they even their own heads anymore?

1 Like

Correct. In the next play Blanch caught a long clearance over GH and put it over the bar when a good delivery in for a goal chance was required. I think Blanchfield has all the tools needed to be a top class IC middle 8 player but his in game decision making lets him down at times.

On another note he has an aesthetically pleasing handpass dummy.

1 Like

Zero teams compare

This current team wouldnt get within 20 points of Kilkenny 2011-2014.

I also don’t think they are better than last year. They played some serious stuff in the Semi Final last year and comfortably held Galway in the Leinster Final. After the Clare match Cody himself was even telling the players, “this is how we played when we were winning All Ireland’s”.

They poxed their way to victory over Galway this year and Clare facilitated their win yesterday by pressing the self destruct button.

They do have an unbelievable goalkeeper and freetaker though. Reid didn’t miss yesterday.

What theorem are you drawing from this possibility/probability? I am a bit lost.

I find following your logic in the series of posts on this topic pretty hard. I have no problem with your low opinion of the current Kilkenny team but find your overall point difficult to grasp. You seem to believe that Kilkenny are not entitled to be in the 2023 AIF because they lost the 2019 AIF by 14 points. Tipperary lost their 2012 All Ireland semi final against Kilkenny by 18 points. Does that result, four years earlier, same span as 2019 to 2023, mean Tipperary’s win in the 2016 AIF was somehow illegitimate?

Genuinely cannot follow the logic… You usually make a reasonable degree of sense.

4 Likes

It’s been debated here before but the Kilkenny team of 2006-2009 were better than the 2011-14 team imo. The latter team had a couple of very humbling results against Dublin in the league final of 2011, Galway in the Leinster final of 2012 and then staggered through the 2013 championship before Cork disposed of them. The late 00’s team cleared all before them bar a couple of league defeats to Waterford in 07’ and Tipp in 08’.

1 Like

I’d personally think Kilkenny are a good bit superior than they were 12 months ago across a few different facets, definitely from a compound interest pov with lads getting better and more embedded and gelled together. They’re aren’t many bolters but lads are showing different strings to their bow.

The tickler is how much you read into Saturday’s game, and if they are peaking or did Galway just completely cower out of it and fold.

Adrian Mullen had a phenomenal showing by the way in the circumstances, and his absence. Don’t get how you didn’t see that. He was savage for the first 15 mins, went quiet for a while and then grew into it as it went on. Hugely important player to this team.

2 Likes

How Adrian Mullen was able to be as effective as he was after a really bad thumb injury. Was some going.

He had made shit of his thumb supposedly.

1 Like

I just think a team with a forward line of Phelan, Keoghan, Donnelly and Billy Ryan shouldn’t be getting to All Ireland Finals. Two points from play outside of Cody in the forward line yesterday.

If Cody was to have an off day they’d be in huge trouble.

Im watching it back now again and he was indeed excellent.

Not to be simplistic, but the same could be said for Gillane? Not that he has many.

Paddy Deegan ‘marked’ Hegarty last year in the final and gave him a 10/15 yard start for a lot his scores. That won’t happen, you’d hope, in a fortnight.