Opinion: Tj Reid

Go on so indulge your e buddy there spouting shite to you for the next 3 hours with his lies . You fucking cunt :slightly_smiling_face:

That Clare team has been badly managed. They should be doing much, much better given the talent at their disposal.

He was kept scoreless from play by Seamus Hickey in 2014 and by Sean Finn who absolutely devoured him in 2018. He is excellent but not as good as some who has gone before him the best twenty years or so.

Very few marquee forwards left when Canning, Horgan, Reid and Callanan call it a day over the next few years. I think Gillane has the makings of one if he can show consistency over the next few years.

Exactly, heā€™s a ball player who completely relies on his team mates winning the ball and passing it to him. He never ever wins a dirty ball

1 Like

In Tj Reidā€™s last four knock out championship games heā€™s scored 2 points from play.

Reid played v Lk in 2018 and looked off the pace. Kk were a jaded team that day and Lk should have won by 3 goals if they took their chances .

1 Like

When has Tony Kelly done it for Clare in championship hurling since 2013?

MOTM against Waterford in 2019 when he was given the freedom of Walsh Park in the first half. As soon as Fanning stuck a marker on him he reverted to type - anonymous.

Played well in the dead rubber against Cork in Cusack Park also.

Off the top of my head he was MIA in the 2017 Munster final, 2018 Munster final, drawn A-I semi final 2018, replayed A-I semi final 2018, v Tipp in 2019, v Limerick 2019.

This is a lad who is hyped to high heavens as one of the best players in the country. Heā€™ll always chip in with the odd Hollywood score (that will inevitably make the Sunday Game highlights reel) but heā€™s miles off the likes of Canning, Reid and Callanan.

Being a sound bloke or otherwise has nothing to do with it. He has been living off reputation at intercounty level for a while now. John Conlon and Shane Oā€™Donnell have been much more influential and consistent for Clare since 2013.

Outstanding national league and club hurler though, as good as there has ever been.

:joy::joy:

I donā€™t think you are getting the point . He is a wonderful loose hurler and if on a decent well coached team he would do reck . Clare won a soft all Ireland in 2013 and were a poorly coached team for a few years thereafter .

Thatā€™s my point though - heā€™s a loose ball hurler. He has the speed and athleticism to do wreck at club level when 99% of club hurlers canā€™t get near him.

Different ball game at intercounty level, though. He canā€™t win his own ball which is a fairly significant drawback for a lad hailed as a world beater by RTE and co.

Unless itā€™s put on a plate for him he struggles enormously.

1 Like

Has Tony Kelly stopped rolling around since he clattered off Kevin Moran yet?

1 Like

As a scorer, youā€™d take Hoggie over TJ any day.

Yes Horgan contributes more from play on the scoreboard alright. Really came into his own when the strikers all moved on

As a scorer or finisher, yeah.

You couldnā€™t honestly claim heā€™s a more valuable player/better player to any team than Reid though.

1 Like

But that is pretty much all Hoggie is. He is an excellent finisher as he has brilliant wrists but realistically all you can do is play him corner forward and try and get ball into his hand. He had turned into a very consistent inside forward too after spending the first 7 or 8 years of his career being fairly inconsistent.

TJ Reid can stand out in all six forward positions and can pretty much excel at any function of forward play you ask him to do be it winning ball in the air or in rucks, drifting back the field and doing the spade work, linking play, breaking tackles, creating and taking points. Very few have that kind of versatility and ability. Others might be better an some of those aspects of play but none have as many strings to their bow as TJ

3 Likes

Rory Oā€™Connor

Too right. The boys of today will be the men of tomorrow. I can really see John McGrath going to another level in time.

Oā€™ Connor is a class act. His ability to pick a dead ball at speed and move out of trouble is unparalleled. They need to settle on a position for him now.

1 Like

:joy::joy: ffs. First of all Hoggie and Callahan both play in the full forward line so obviously they should be scoring more. Joe is not as good as TJ, similar skill level but TJ is in better shape and a far better ball winner.

1 Like

If TJ was detailed to play the role of Horgan/Callanan in the full forward line Iā€™d wager he would outscore both of them if a similar amount of ball was going in.

1 Like

TJ doesnā€™t have Joeā€™s skill level. No one does. Canning repeatedly does things on a hurling field that pretty much no other player can do.

1 Like