OTB (Off The Ball)

Irish radio is shit full stop - It’s chewing gum - all flash, no substance. OTB are both a cause and symptom of the way things have gone

2 Likes

Thats why podcasts work best. Sift out what you want and dont want.

Does anyone even “toon” in to a radio anymore unless they’re in a car?

2 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

I have an android phone. How woukd I go about getting podcasts?
Can I state in advance that I have already both shoved my thumb up my hole, and removed it, to no avail.

Thats funny.

It’s a factual comment.

A hell of a lot more people listen to live radio than podcasts.

Grand - but the podcasts are stemming from the radio which still leaves you with the same problem, kid.

No it doesnt. I download the ones I want to listen to.

As for the radio, its doing no harm whatsoever, unless Tony Fenton is going to come back and rule the nighttime airwaves again.

I like OTB.

You still have to listen to the presenters who like to dominate interviews -

Hardly surprising

1 Like

So you’d prefer to hear nothing at all?

I will say this, the GAA definitely isn’t as good since Colm left, but its still worth having.

More often than not, yes, mate. I have my good e-friends on TFK and that’s enough for me… Unless it’s a big name like Shane Dowling, then i’ll toon in

Ah right. So you’re talking shite. Very good. Carry on.

There’s no shit, mate. I’d rather not listen to anything than listen to a shite show just for the sake of listening to something.

1 Like

Yea. I get ya. Good one.

+1. Not listening to anything is definitely preferable to Gilroy, Malachy Clerkin and David Brady reviewing the weekend GAA action.

1 Like

You get nothing unless I say so.

1 Like

Three hours a night on a sports show leaves a lot of room for bolloxology .

Off the Ball and Second Captains are both excellent and have been since the start, really.

The main fault with both is that they cover too much association football and too much Premier League soap opera nonsense in particular, but otherwise, they’re excellent. However the association football element is a necessary function of the way sports media in general and its relationship with those involved in top level association football has developed over the last couple of decades.

Gilroy, Molloy, and McDevitt are all fine interviewers. While I’ve already said there’s too much association football, Ken Early is brilliant on it. Despite making a living from it, it’s obvious he despises most of what goes on in the game and he lampoons the soap opera element of it brilliantly, and his tangents on other subjects are usually magnificent. I particularly enjoyed his one about the coverage of Ronda Rousey last week.

I suspect a lot of the flak both shows get here is down to jealousy from posters that they aren’t working for these programmes.

As Yosser Hughes once said, “I could do that”.

4 Likes