OTB (Off The Ball)

Ah here. Go down to your nearest club some night this week and I’ll buy you a crate of Stella if you find an IC player training let alone being flogged. Laughable notion.

You’re the one that’s moaning about them not being available to clubs.

I don’t think two managers should be pulling out of the one player at the same time and county should take precedent.

Oh, you’ve given up on the apparent flogging to death by bloodthirsty clubs have you? :smile:

I’m saying that’s what the clubs want to do when players are involved in their county.

When the county season is in action, county players should be unavailable to their clubs - across the board.

Some young lads are being pulled by 3 or 4 managers, club county college and maybe underage, fuckin insane

Inter-county success doesn’t have to mean an All-Ireland title. It can mean a provincial title (eg Monaghan 2013, Galway 2016) or a good run in the qualifiers (eg. Armagh 2014, Fermanagh 2015, Tipperary 2016).

Surprising elitism from you.

What clubs where? Anyone here involved with a club have there IC lads for training during the week. Not happening anywhere I know of. Nonsense suggestion.

1 Like

It’s totally unavoidable really if Co Boards refrained from making U21 championships start so early in the year. But the Gaa knows best.

In my own experience, it’s impossible to get lads who are involved with County Teams to pick club games over College or County fixtures. Those who do mostly do so because they want to play.

Yep.we did

That’s my point.

This decision needs to be taken out of the player’s hands.

If a player is involved with county then they should not be involved with club (or university football for that matter) until such time as their involvement is over and this should be applied across the board.

County is the highest level so should players commit to county then that takes precedent. It’s club v county, they can’t co-exist at the same time. In any case the vast amount of counties should have players available for the majority of the club season were the fixtures run efficiently.

I’m not talking about training per se but last year Derry had four of five lads lining out for clubs a week before they played Tyrone in Championship - that is madness.

More chance of seeing Des Cahill dancing properly than seeing an IC panellist training with his club. :smile:

2 Likes

Just realistic. Clare had a relatively successful run last year after winning Div 3 but we’re probably at the pin of our collar to stay up in D2, and couldn’t be sure of getting as far in championship this year.

Was that the tennis club or the yacht club?

2 Likes

Wexford brought in “club night” a number of years back (I think via a vote at county convention) whereby one night per week was designated as the night when county teams had to release their players for club training during the season. I recall that Friday was the night chosen but that’s often a night favoured by county managers for training, especially where players might be based outside the county for work/college but would be returning home for the weekend. I think it’s still there in theory but I don’t think it’s enforced. Open to correction on it.

cc @Appendage, @Gman, @padjo

Molloy is a smug prick. Played that interview with Kerr again saying that he has now been vindicated

He’s been tweeting non stop about it.

Actually hard to say if this is vindication . Liverpool have been utterly inept .

I think NK’s attitude is a disappointing one if it’s a prevailing one up north.

Games gone lads, games gone.

2 Likes

Is there no 13 day rule or whatever it is in Derry? Thought that applied nationally