OTB (Off The Ball)

I wonder what the real forces behind this were. I don’t see them being picked up by another station en bloc to recreate what they had on Newstalk. McDevitt has the most to gain and probably has an eye on a TV job at RTE. I can see Early being picked up by the Guardian or some other UK media outlet. Horgan as producer shouldn’t have too many problems finding other work either, The other two lads might find it a bit more difficult.

Newstalk as a station will suffer badly as the show will likely now drift into mediocrity. Even though it was a niche programme it was still a sort of flagship for the station as a whole.

Possibly deliberate Freudian slip there by Hook just now calling it “Off the Boil”.

Hooky just said that the lads have “gone elsewhere”

[quote=“mickee321, post: 744004, member: 367”]the admin team will be able to focus more on the forum now:clap:
any chance TFK could get a radio slot for a few hours, Rocko and Bandage could co-host, Kev would be special guest reporting on fitness… ah it would be epic[/quote]

TFK’s original podcast, which appears to have been a little heard but hugely influential once-off, in my view, paved the way for these charlatans and I’d imagine Rocko and Bandage’s respective agents are currently meeting with Newstalk’s people.

Ger Gilroys comments this evening will be interesting. He is no doubt their boss and has to toe the party line, but these guys will also be his mates.

yeah, i remember that :smiley:

Very matter of fact.

Gilroy “couldn’t accommodate their wishes for a 6pm start… Our Friends will be missed”

Listening here. All these cunts sound the same to me. If I hadn’t read that the other lads had left I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

Agree. Gilroy & McDevitt sound very similar on the radio.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 744012, member: 183”]I wonder what the real forces behind this were. I don’t see them being picked up by another station en bloc to recreate what they had on Newstalk. McDevitt has the most to gain and probably has an eye on a TV job at RTE. I can see Early being picked up by the Guardian or some other UK media outlet. Horgan as producer shouldn’t have too many problems finding other work either, The other two lads might find it a bit more difficult.

Newstalk as a station will suffer badly as the show will likely now drift into mediocrity. Even though it was a niche programme it was still a sort of flagship for the station as a whole.

Possibly deliberate Freudian slip there by Hook just now calling it “Off the Boil”.[/quote]

agreed on McDevitt and Horgan , the latter in particular is a top class operator
Im not so sure about Earley, i have never read anything he has written , if he has at all. the football show he had was good when he used to interview the likes of Hunter, Sadlier , Marcotti etc, even tho it got jaded a bit, but really he was not very insightful at all about football and his knowledge was poor at best,
The other lad Murphy i presume will no longer work im media

Are they going to dodge the issue here?

they dealt with it in the opening 30s of the show

I can only presume thrawneen is joking and carryharry is simple.

keep up will you for fucks sake

I am a simpleton dumbo. :rolleyes:

Gilroy handling himself admirably here it has to be said, saying the lads who left were " 5 of the finest men you could call friends"
In fairness for a guy that wasnt prepared to present a show he’s doing well here

There’s no catching up for this fella, he’s still trying to get to the end of Ann & Barry go to the Zoo.

[quote=“mickee321, post: 744027, member: 367”]Gilroy handling himself admirably here it has to be said, saying the lads who left were " 5 of the finest men you could call friends"
In fairness for a guy that wasnt prepared to present a show he’s doing well here[/quote]

This is old hat for Gilroy, I presume once he had moved through the first 5 mins or so he was right back in the groove. Its long term where it gets interesting with how they resolve the vacuum.

Sad, sad, day. McDevitt was an excellent interviewer, Murph a high quality rural bufoon and Earley had the Dunphyesque ability to produce quality soundbites even when talking complete bollox. Idiocy from Newstalk not to push the boat out to keep them. I expect they’ll have a shorter show on one of the RTE stations very soon… 6.30-9pm or somesuch.

Looks like they weren’t poached anyway, tried to force the station to change and they wouldn’t back down. They might be back begging for their jobs soon enough.

There’s more to this story than Gilroy let on imho. His explanation just doesnt seem right.

RTE have only very recently launced their own midweek sports show with Damien O’Meara