OTB (Off The Ball)

Not everything has to be 'a big team sent out. Use the feed from somewhere else and revert back to pundits in a studio in montrose. If anyone Irish is doing anything big, I’m sure the BBC or whoever would interview them and we will catch up.

Sky were using HBO and showtime feeds for boxing for years. Virgin and eir doing it for racing.

I couldn’t care less about rte having nobody on the ground at major events as long as they are showing them tbh. It’s not like they add any insight.

4 Likes

RTÉ don’t show the 6n

They could buy them back handy enough now id say

Ever since rte put a woman driver behind the wheel, sport was out the window

Agreed you have some lads whinging about tg4 that the camera angles aren’t good enough, that they speak too much Irish etc and they showing more sport than rte and virgin combined

6 Likes

Tg4 are a great public service broadcaster in fairness to them.

One thing I will say for RTE is that they are covering a lot more women’s sport and I know mcbennett said that was a huge part of their remit. I was listening to Sunday sport last week in the car and women’s matches got huge coverage.

It would be huge for the Heineken Cup to get back on terrestrial, for that competition in this country.

2 Likes

Way ahead of RTE in their development of excellent shows such as Laochra Gael. Even the Reeling in the Years GAA program was forward thinking.

3 Likes

One thing re RTE, there is a big vacuum presenters wise. Not a lot coming through at all…

Re the pundits, Stephen Kelly, Doyle, Duff are all very safe and reasonable…they need a bit of an antagonist; Sadlier might fill that but doesn’t look incline. Didi Haman was a good pundit…the fact he probably stood the away team for 5k only added to it really!

1 Like

RTE have very little live sport now outside of football World Cups/European Championships, the Olympics and the GAA intercounty championships.

A bit of horse racing, RDS showjumping, women’s rugby Six Nations, tiny bit of boxing - it’s paltry enough.

TG4 are brilliant for what is presumably a shoestring budget (and not just in terms of sport)

7 Likes

Sure I wouldn’t know that. I’ve fuckall interest in it.

1 Like

The Heineken Cup has big interest here ok but one thing I find highly amusing is how little interest there will be here in Ireland in the final . A few in know who go to Munster games frequently and travel abroad probably won’t watch the final ( they might though given the ROG factor ) .

Most soccer fans regardless of allegiance will watch the CL final regardless of participants

1 Like

If you asked most rugby people in Ireland to name 7 of New Zealand’s current team they probably wouldn’t be able to tell you

5 Likes

Same in GAA, NFL, AFL… It’s the marquee game of the year. Rubby supporters don’t give a fuck unless their team is in it.

The recent documentaries they did on the great racehorses were great

They do a review show of programmes and interviews from the 60s and 70s that is really good.

The Cawrkie troubadour lad Spillane going around the County towns, all the main spots in the townland, then back to the local singing and talking to local characters, I loved that show a few years ago.

1 Like

I’d say the amount of people who watch the Champions League final is way way down if there’s not an English team playing

2 Likes

In fairness to RTE and the rugby set their Heineken Cup coverage during the Celtic Tiger years helped fuel the hype, with Munster going well, the McGurk, Hook and Pope triumvirate etc.

They must have got massive viewing figures at the time. Maybe it’s a lot to do with Leinster and Munster falling away in recent years but going to pay tv has definitely reduced interest in it.

If the 6 Nations ever went to BT or Amazon it would be another nail in the coffin.

2 Likes

Down a bit but if Real Madrid were playing Bayern Munich there would be huge viewership here .

Rugby felt some way important when Hooky and Popey were running the show

Interest can wane very easy here . Example last night the Rangers v Celtic game wasn’t even mentioned in the 9 pm RTE news . Back in the MON days if would have been top billing ( granted the OT protests were always going to be less ) . They featured the women’s champions league semis even .

1 Like