OTB (Off The Ball)

Newstalk would have you listening to Burnley vs Crystal Palace on All Ireland final day.

1 Like

They’d rather spend the budget on Nationwide and “The house where I grew up”. They could produce an hourly sports show akin to Seo Spoirt that used to be on TG4 for a very minimal fee I’d imagine but have chosen to neglect sport.

2 Likes

I do admire Darren Frehill on RTE Radio 1 alright, my ire is more so directed at the TV equivalent.

He defo played a Galway senior county final for Milltown anyways. A good man for frees according to a mate of mine that played with him.

Not quiet. It costs an absolute fortune to produce live sports. And it doesn’t generate massive revenues.

A lot of their other programmes are made by independent production companies. Independent companies don’t do live sports for the most part.

1 Like

The 6N garnered big viewership and I imagine big ad revenue .

However they are a public service broadcaster and whether I like in or not I have to pay them a licence fee . For example there was no LOI game live last weekend . The soccer republic show was shitcanned .

The CL show is now abysmal .

They have generated big money from ads due to Covid

1 Like

What do you admire about Darren? His attention to detail?

4 Likes

He’s a real perfectionist.

They made their first surplus in a long time in 2020. A lot of that was because they didn’t have to send big teams off to the Olympics or the Euros. The 6N loses them money I would say

Yeah they only show home legs when Irish teams are in relatively big European ties too. The days of all the Celtic games around 2002-2004 randomly being on RTE or tuning in to see Eamon Dunphy dissect a Liverpool-Spurs game at 3 on a Saturday are sadly gone it seems. The Heineken Cup has declined since it left terrestrial TV in 2006 too.

2 Likes

The only thing RTÉ spend more money on than Sports is news and current affairs

Again they have a public service remit and sport output should reflect this . I fully accept that 2020 was a on off windfall that won’t happen again .

The last 6 months they have shown no archives which was great .

My view is that they would gladly jettison as much sport as possible .

Lads can forget about RTE as a station.

2 Likes

Interesting to see what will happen it in next decade .

The lack of archive sports footage on RTE during lockdown 1 was bizarre.

OTB is the greatest sport show in the western world.

2 Likes

They may bring it to TV. Second Captains Live was decent on TV I thought.

1 Like

I watched it once I think… But there’s deffo space out there for a show.

They sold their archives to eir I think.

A stickler for the detail.