OTB (Off The Ball)

Standard in every country- that’s why skys highlights showed every game and the bbc before that did the same

Sky are the rights holders to those highlights. I very much doubt rte ever had a package to show anything outside the Irish teams.

I’m sure they showed selected other matches occasionally. Leicester v Toulouse in the 2005 semi-final was one. The 2003 final in Dublin was definitely shown live and I think 2005 as well. I’d say they had a deal to show the Irish teams live and if no Irish team was involved, one live match from each knockout round.

Gilroy doesn’t do much to dispel the notion that he’s an insufferable cunt in that article

7 Likes

Rte showed the final for a few years though without showing any other games. In 08 I’m fairly certain the final was the only game they had.

Munster in the '06 final was the last live game RTE had. The '08 final was on Sky only.

Either way highlight packages are done differently too and back then I’m fairly sure each rugby union sold their own individual rights.

The 2008 final was on rte.

I thought he’d come across worse to be honest as I find him painful in audio form. I’ve long had a pet theory that everyone in Irish radio gets an award at the end of the year and the following part doesn’t dispel it.

PK: You described Joe Molloy as the best sports broadcaster in the country.

GG: He is. He has won four of the last five IMROs.

PK: How many have you won?

GG: Three.

2 Likes

I was at the 2008 final so didn’t watch it on the telly but I’m 99.99% sure that’s not the case. RTE definitely had highlights of the tournament around that time but in terms of live action they were frozen out.

1 Like

It’s like the advertising awards paid for and organized by the ad companies

1 Like

I’m nearly certain it was on rte as I remember watching it at home and we didn’t have sky sports at the time. I could be wrong though.

It’s some nonsense alright. Thinking Joe Molloy is a better broadcaster than Eoin McDevitt should be a criminal offense

1 Like

2008 final wasn’t on RTE

2 Likes

Ah jaysus :laughing:

Are you sure? I distinctly remember watching it at home and we wouldn’t have sky sports around then.

To be honest the amount of time these cunts have on air has to inflate their egos . They are sports journalists / broadcasters in a small country with little comparators . Ffs who did Molloy and Gilroy “beat” the years they won it ? Des Cahill or Jacqui Hurley ? Perhaps Paul Collins ??

5 Likes

Kimmage makes a pure prick of his big stand on the kids not going to a Catholic school. ‘where did you get married?’

4 Likes

You are correct . I think the previous year George Hook wore a black arm band in mourning of them selling the H Cup to Sky

The 07 game v the scarlets when Munster were trounced by an inspired regan king was on sky im nearly sure. The famous game when rog kicked the winner from the half line in Leicester and gave the interview afterwards was all on sky too.

1 Like