OTB (Off The Ball)

[quote=“stones_off, post: 744330, member: 1559”]It said on the front of the Irish times that they have 50,000 listeners. After 6 on George Hook is mainly stuff like technology, travel, movies, etc. So if you are not interested you’ll switch over that day. But with Sport on everyday, people who are not interested will just gravitate to other programmes (Matt Cooper, RTE).

Also like somebody else said if they were to move to 6 - 9, they would miss the end of soccer matches. Could you imagine tonight “it tightly posed 1-1 on the night, 2-2 on aggregate between Man Utd and Real Madrid with 60 minutes gone in the second leg of the champions league. Tune in tomorrow night to see who won” Roll the Diego Maradona tune.

Anybody listen to west limerick sport on Sunday. Shocking is the only way to describe it. “Now we’ll have motorsport.” Motorsport then goes on for 35 mins, while we all wondering that the scores in the matches are.[/quote]
Do we know they didn’t want an extra hour instead of just moving an hour forward ie 6 until 10. They had shorter hours during the summer months anyway.

No, I think he was UK-ish

Before this crisis began I mixed up Ger Gilroy and Eoin McDevitt anyway so this hasn’t been too devastating. I expect this all began out of McDevitt simply wanting to knock off early so he wouldn’t have to rush for last orders in The Long Haul?

:eek:

Faldo-esque from Runt, his demise continues. He has’nt been the same since his dalliance with the pig n porter last year… I take it all these heavy training sessions you’ve been doing are geared towards this year’s tournament, Runt??

Faldo-esque from Runt, his demise continues. He has’nt been the same since his dalliance with the pig n porter last year… I take it all these heavy training sessions you’ve been doing are geared towards this year’s tournament, Runt??[/quote]

Hope the pink-eye clears up for you.

http://s0.jrnl.ie/media/2013/03/546545_10151806930170441_1047669781_n-388x500.jpg

gimps

[quote=“FingalRaven, post: 744352, member: 80”]http://s0.jrnl.ie/media/2013/03/546545_10151806930170441_1047669781_n-388x500.jpg

gimps[/quote]

+1 Mate. The fcuking state of them.

Statement on twitter from the OTB 5:

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]Hey everyone, Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Mark Horgan, Simon Hick and Ciaran Murphy here. Sorry we couldn’t make the show last night.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]Over the last 18 months we have been in discussions with Newstalk about ways to develop our programme. Unfortunately there are fundamental differences of opinion between management and ourselves about the show’s future potential and its ability to grow an audience at an earlier time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]We’re gutted to leave behind something we love but after eight years we feel it’s vital that our product continues to evolve and improve.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]We would like to sincerely thank Newstalk for giving us a chance to put the show together.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]We won’t have the opportunity to say goodbye on air, so thanks to everyone who has supported us over the years and over the past 24 hours - particularly our listeners, who are the best in the country.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]The five of us are determined to be back on air together as soon as possible.[/FONT]

[quote=“tallback, post: 744416, member: 1158”]Statement on twitter from the OTB 5:

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]Hey everyone, Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Mark Horgan, Simon Hick and Ciaran Murphy here. Sorry we couldn’t make the show last night.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]Over the last 18 months we have been in discussions with Newstalk about ways to develop our programme. Unfortunately there are fundamental differences of opinion between management and ourselves about the show’s future potential and its ability to grow an audience at an earlier time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]We’re gutted to leave behind something we love but after eight years we feel it’s vital that our product continues to evolve and improve.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]We would like to sincerely thank Newstalk for giving us a chance to put the show together.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]We won’t have the opportunity to say goodbye on air, so thanks to everyone who has supported us over the years and over the past 24 hours - particularly our listeners, who are the best in the country.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue]The five of us are determined to be back on air together as soon as possible.[/FONT][/quote]

I’ve never seen such near universal agreement on a topic as there has been on this one on the likes of twitter, facebook, journal.ie comments etc. It really seems to have been a genuinely hugely popular show.
I don’t really see what was all that special about the lads themselves though. They weren’t particularly funny or hard hitting or even dunphy/hook/brolly controversial for the sake of it and as most have said here they were all a little bit annoying in their own way. They had a kind of easy going inoffensiveness and seemed to enjoy all sports which is where most Irish sports fans outside of tfk fall into really.
I think it might have also been that they were fellas of ‘our generation’ and it’s rare you hear those type of people on national radio or telly especially on RTE. All their references and memories etc appealed to the 25-40 bracket and this would be where 90 per cent of their listeners fell I’d say I don’t think they had much of a following among the older crowd.
In short the show was nothing that couldn’t be recreated fairly easily with another set of similar lads. Just not Ger Gilroy cos he’s an annoying cunt.

So they did quit because they couldn’t get on Prime Time? Fucking muppets, no national station is going to give them lads a prime time slot. They might end up on a Dublin station that lads can listen to over the interweb or something.

Yeah I expected there to be more to it but they’re thanking newstalk and all in the statement so seems to be just that issue. They seem 100 per cent wrong if that’s the case as you’d be alienating a massive amount of your listenership with all sport during ‘drivetime’. Hard to see anyone agreeing to take all five of them on so it would seem this can only end badly for them.

I wonder did either or both parties have an issue with an obvious half six compromise. RTÉ had given away half six to seven to sport for years until this most recent programme they’re trying. So half six os a credible time to move off current affairs and that arsehole Hook does travel or movies for that half hour segment anyway.

I think Newstalk will suffer on other programmes from this change though. I’d only have Newstalk on my stored stations in the car to listen to OTB. That means I’d occasionally listen to other programmes for a few minutes. If they don’t put together a decent replacement then I wouldn’t bother ever switching over to it.

No US Murph tonight.

Its just like a divorce :frowning:

Fucking hell a statement from them as a unit! The first of many id guess. What a needy bunch of egotistical gimps.

And for all their devestated and devoted fans out there the good news is the boys are not breaking up. Wankers.
Go and get yerselves some jobs lads while a few out there still know who ye are, ye can’t spend the rest of your days blogging to two men and a dog if ye want to eat.

I’d love to know what the listenership for George hook is like. I’m sure Matt cooper would have a better following for current affairs. As rocko said OTB from half 6 would seem obvious and would probably be very successful.

[quote=“HBV*, post: 744533, member: 234”]Fucking hell a statement from them as a unit! The first of many id guess. What a needy bunch of egotistical gimps.

And for all their devestated and devoted fans out there the good news is the boys are not breaking
up. Wankers.
Go and get yerselves some jobs lads while a few out there still know who ye are, ye can’t spend the
rest of your days blogging to two men and a dog if ye want to eat.[/quote]
:rolleyes:

The boys will no doubt read that and see the error of their ways because some crank from the internet said so :smiley:

Only to a nerd

As opposed to george hook talking about technology eh?