OTB (Off The Ball)

[quote=“mickee321, post: 744272, member: 367”]agreed about the fella from galway, id say he’ll crawl back to them in a few weeks,
how does the figure of 39k compare to other stations at a similar time tho?, we are all saying 39k listeners is crap but we need to quantify it
i doubt if there are many people who turn on a radio program and sit and listen to it for the entire duration like say they would watch a TV program or a match.
Radio for me is usually oppotunistic and is something i would have on when i was doing something else, be it commuting , working or running on a treadmill, except for a sunday where i always would try to find time to listen to sunday sport or on a saturday where id turn on the bbc WS as they are broadcasting 5live at the time.
I actually listen to as lot more irish radio now that im abroad than when i would be at home .
so the figure of 39k, is that 39k people who they know tune into that entire program 5 nights a week?[/quote]
It was the most popular show in Ireland for the 7 to 9 time slot.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 744251, member: 129”]? Football Weekly manages to cover all the major European soccer in two 40 minute shows.
I’m not being controversial here, I’m genuinely interested.[/quote]
It’s alright but it’s not as good as Early’s football show and I usually found the banter on it more irritating than I did on Off The Ball.

You’d assume that the bulk of their listeners would be ballsy ABC1 types of fellows, masters of the universe, working late who catch a half an hour of Shaggy and Woody as they drive home. However the dismal quality of the advertising on the show would not bear this out and would lead one to believe that the advertising agencies believe that their listenership is made up of nerds and anoraks.

how many if ye listen to sport on RTE lads?
I listen to most ROI football internationals and the commentary for these is very good, John Kenny and Brian Kerr are an excellent conbination.
Sunday sport is very, very poor…, their presentation is a diaster whereby they have some girl ( joanne i think) in the studio watching a game with 2 other lads, on sunday it was tommy carr and that wanker oisin macconville. they try to copy the jeff stelling and soccer saturday approach but its bad.
what they are good at is going around many grounds and venues when there is many events on, guys like Adrian Eames, John Kenny and Des are good reporters and they cover this very well.
their big game commentary tho is awful, Brian Cathy is laden with mistakes, however they then tried to convert ger canning and marty morrissey to radio and that has been a disaster.
i actualy found newstalk GAA championhip commentary decent enough, i know its easy to mock it , but for me compared to RTE there was only 1 winner.

Brian Carthy summed up RTE for me 2 weeks ago the time Sean Og O Ceallachain passed away,
They were praising him in the studio and telling various anecdotes , etc.
Carthy was up North somewhere reporting on the Railway Cup hurling semi final between Ulster and Munster, he starts going on anyway and starts telling us that Sean Og’s great quality was that he always was a great man for details and he thought young reporters in RTE that you had to be accurate on your details as the listeners relied on you. After waffling on about this anyway, Carthy starts talking about the game, he tells us that Munster are winning and then goes on about the great performance of an ulster player who scored 1-3, he then signs off the report without telling us the fucking HT score or what Munster were leading by… i remember just thinking … “what a retard”

[quote=“mickee321, post: 744282, member: 367”]how many if ye listen to sport on RTE lads?
I listen to most ROI football internationals and the commentary for these is very good, John Kenny and Brian Kerr are an excellent conbination.
Sunday sport is very, very poor…, their presentation is a diaster whereby they have some girl ( joanne i think) in the studio watching a game with 2 other lads, on sunday it was tommy carr and that wanker oisin macconville. they try to copy the jeff stelling and soccer saturday approach but its bad.
what they are good at is going around many grounds and venues when there is many events on, guys like Adrian Eames, John Kenny and Des are good reporters and they cover this very well.
their big game commentary tho is awful, Brian Cathy is laden with mistakes, however they then tried to convert ger canning and marty morrissey to radio and that has been a disaster.
i actualy found newstalk GAA championhip commentary decent enough, i know its easy to mock it , but for me compared to RTE there was only 1 winner.

Brian Carthy summed up RTE for me 2 weeks ago the time Sean Og O Ceallachain passed away,
Carthy was up North somewhere reporting on the Railway Cup hurling semi final between Ulster and Munster, he starts going on anyway and starts telling us that Sean Og’s great quality was that he always was a great man for details and he thought young reporters in RTE that you had to be accurate on your details as the listeners relied on you. After waffling on about this anyway, Carthy starts talking about the game, he tells us that Munster are winning and then goes on about the great performance of an ulster player who scored 1-3, he then signs off the report without telling us the fucking HT score or what Munster were leading by… i remember just thinking … “what a retard”[/quote]

Aside from listening to Clare matches on Clare FM i very seldom listen to the other Irish radio stations. I must say that BBC Radio 5 Live are excellent in their coverage of sport, especially on a Saturday. Far far better than watching that cunts on Sky Sports shouting over each other

[quote=“mickee321, post: 744282, member: 367”]how many if ye listen to sport on RTE lads?

Carthy was up North somewhere reporting on the Railway Cup hurling semi final between Ulster and Munster, he starts going on anyway and starts telling us that Sean Og’s great quality was that he always was a great man for details and he thought young reporters in RTE that you had to be accurate on your details as the listeners relied on you. After waffling on about this anyway, Carthy starts talking about the game, he tells us that Munster are winning and then goes on about the great performance of an ulster player who scored 1-3, he then signs off the report without telling us the fucking HT score or what Munster were leading by… i remember just thinking … “what a retard”[/quote]

The lady on Sunday Sport on RTE is Jacqui / Jackie Hurley. No offence, but she is utterly clueless. Is she hosting it on her own now? I haven’t listened to it yet this year but it must be a bit of a car crash if she is.

She had Con Murphy co-hosting it with her for the last couple of years but he left RTE in the autumn - not sure what he’s up to now. He’s a fairly wooden sort but he was professional and would correct her in a nice way without embarrassing her.

A typical incident would have went something like this:

Jacqui / Jackie: “So another result just in from the Allianz Football League Division 4…a big win for Kilkenny footballers…Kilkenny 4-25 Leitrim 0-4…”

Con: Okay…so we’ll move on to golf and the final round of the Portuguese Open but just to recap on that Allianz football league score first…Leitrim running out very comfortable winners…Leitrim 4-25 Kilkenny 0-4."

Then he’d go across to the golf and Greg Allen.

Poor Greg Allen - he’s been covering shit and minority sports / hobbies since I was old enough to remember.

BBC Radio five live is the best. Would put on RTE on a Sunday afternoon just to get the results/updates. But if Limerick were playing would tune into Live 95FM or radio thugby as some call it. Brian Geary was in the commentary box for the Antrim matchl.

Haha Greg Allen,
He used to always be reporting on things lijke athletics, hockey matches involving teams like Hermes and Church of Ireland and tennis from fitwilliam.
Jacqui had another classic during the ireland scotland match where she burst in with the NHL second half updates and told us Galway were leading kilkenny 3-11 to 0.-3 (instead of 13) .
when we used to be coming home from NHL games in Novemeber before the ould fella woukd turn on radio 1 ful blast in the car and you’d have Gabriel Egan commentating on the 3-30PM KO between Shels and Bohs from harolds cross back , full uniterrupted commentarty was tough going.
Do RTE still do the 23 minutes to 7 sports news on a saturday evening?, there was a tremendous intro music for that, i can imagine fagan o dowd was a huge fan

[quote=“mickee321, post: 744293, member: 367”]Haha Greg Allen,

Do RTE still do the 23 minutes to 7 sports news on a saturday evening?, there was a tremendous intro music for that, i can imagine fagan o dowd was a huge fan[/quote]
I haven’t heard it for about 20 years but can still remember the music

Weren’t most of their adverts aimed at small business owners? Accounting software and marketing conferences and the like.

Mostly ads for cabs and stuff I thought

If yer headin’ teh Clonsilla or a Southside villa
six double seven double two double two
If yer on the raz or hadin’ up teh yer ma’s

[quote=“Sidney, post: 744317, member: 183”]If yer headin’ teh Clonsilla or a Southside villa
six double seven double two double two[/quote]
That’s the one Sid.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 744317, member: 183”]If yer headin’ teh Clonsilla or a Southside villa

Black & Yellow,
Black & Yellow,
Black & Yellow,
Black & Yellow,
Black & Yellow,
Black & Yellow,
Black & Yellow,
Black & Yellow,
Black & Yellow,
Black & Yellow,
Black & Yellow,

Get off the bus riiide with us

Just how much was Rory from Elephant Self Storage actually willing to fork out for his 30 seconds slot I wonder?

The RTÉ radio studio for soccer internationals is decent but the commentary team itself is usually Gabriel Egan and Eoin Hand and they’re dreadful.

[quote=“glasagusban, post: 744277, member: 1533”]Spot on on that, their breadth of coverage and depth of research really put RTÉ and other outlets in the ha’penny place. Boxing especially doesn’t get a look in elsewhere in Ireland, they had a great interview with Martin Rogan when he won prizefighter that wouldn’t have registered anywhere else. They also had developed relationships with a lot of sportspeople and commentators that they had regular access to as well.

Thraw, I used often get most of it. If I were leaving work around 7 or 8 I’d have it on in the car or walking home and then stick it on when I got home whole making some food which would generally bring me up to around 9. Not so interested in the soccerball so I’d turn it off after then.[/quote]
They certainly covered more events than RTÉ but they also weren’t afraid to challenge things. Doping being an obvious example but across the board RTÉ concentrate usually on feelgood stories and it’s pathetic. Ireland lose to Scotland so RTÉ are suddenly all over the women’s rugby instead.

It said on the front of the Irish times that they have 50,000 listeners. After 6 on George Hook is mainly stuff like technology, travel, movies, etc. So if you are not interested you’ll switch over that day. But with Sport on everyday, people who are not interested will just gravitate to other programmes (Matt Cooper, RTE).

Also like somebody else said if they were to move to 6 - 9, they would miss the end of soccer matches. Could you imagine tonight “it tightly posed 1-1 on the night, 2-2 on aggregate between Man Utd and Real Madrid with 60 minutes gone in the second leg of the champions league. Tune in tomorrow night to see who won” Roll the Diego Maradona tune.

Anybody listen to west limerick sport on Sunday. Shocking is the only way to describe it. “Now we’ll have motorsport.” Motorsport then goes on for 35 mins, while we all wondering that the scores in the matches are.

John Hayes’s awareness campaign for anklenosing spondulitis worked wonders for people with the condition.