OTB (Off The Ball)

:clap:

not a lot id say

how could you afford to pay 5 of them with 30-40k odd listener, assume most of the better contributers were getting a few bob also.
assume mcdevitt was getting the bulk with the likes of that galway gimp and the rugby tosser getting little more than pocket money

[quote=“HBV*, post: 745341, member: 234”]not a lot id say

how could you afford to pay 5 of them with 30-40k odd listener, assume most of the better contributers were getting a few bob also.
assume mcdevitt was getting the bulk with the likes of that galway gimp and the rugby tosser getting little more than pocket money[/quote]

:smiley: Jesus you really hate them

Particularly the rugby goys.

i probably do hate that chimp from galway alright

Murph was a great character. Very rare for a young lad to have his level of self awareness and ability to self deprecate.

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 745333, member: 706”]Christ but Gilroy tolerated a load of shite tonight between Gerry Thornley and Bernard Jackman about how the Leinster Schools Cup was the ultimate feeder system for World rugby and how the French would love to copy it, because French men are fundamentally lazy, unlike Leinster schoolboys. McDevitt would never have listened to such shit. That was after 20 minutes of the most boring fucking interview ever with some MMA fighter.

This show is dead to me.[/quote]

how does the football show work now fagan?
who is driving it in Early’s absence?

[quote=“mickee321, post: 745348, member: 367”]how does the football show work now fagan?
who is driving it in Early’s absence?[/quote]
Some bland cunt whose name I can’t remember.

Great point, Fagan. Their sense of humour, the self-deprecation and the cultural references was of the type that would send the thick and the ignorant into a rage, but at the same time would generate fierce loyalty amongst an intelligent core listenership. It worked very well for them and for just a bunch of young lads they created one of the most successful sports radio shows in the history of this country.

[quote=“HBV*, post: 745341, member: 234”]not a lot id say

assume mcdevitt was getting the bulk with the likes of that galway gimp and the rugby tosser getting little more than pocket money[/quote]
Your a bitter auld cunt hiv, what gives?

Oh that’s very funny. If Ger Gilroy is reading he might give you a job.

That guy missed the cut so lost his card.

I like the new edgier Rocko.

Cheers CB.
Back to selling steak knives for him so.

settle yourself down, humour and cultural references? murphy was nothing more than over played cringworthy bogger humour. inane bullshit humour that got in the way of good sports broadcasting. you are letting yourself and the intelligentsia down with this rubbish but i doubt they all share your view.

That there was a love them or hate them element to what they were doing showed they were doing something very right. There was always a real edge to the show that RTE’s sports radio broadcasting is completely lacking. They knew their market and played to it expertly, and if you didn’t like it, well tough, it wasn’t aimed at you anyway. The key to it was that there was a real intelligence to the banter, a serious journalistic underpinning to the content, but it was also opinionated and confident in those opinions. RTE would never allow as opinionated a show as Off The Ball. Other banter-based sports shows like Soccer AM, Talksport and the execrable Ballbusters on 2FM (the show that most made me ever want to smash my radio against a wall such was the forced nature of it) are lowest common denominator tabloid trash.

I presume you mean Euro?

Spot on

:rolleyes:

Like I said, they upset the thickos.

I’m afraid you may be correct