Paris Olympics 2024

He went to a euros game so he was cut?

You need to go on a holiday or a hike or something you’re gone off your game altogether.

Ireland were touring South Africa if I recall correctly. They beat South Africa the morning of the Belgium game I thinkz

Sorry for caring about doping in sport.

Sounds plausible

Hugo Chavez was extremely popular in Sandymount.

1 Like

I don’t get it. Did he not join the tour and go to the euros instead or something?

Well he couldn’t be at both anyway.

If he turned down a call up to an Ireland squad to attend a soccer match that seems a reasonable reason not to call him up in future. Is that what it was @Diabhal ?

1 Like

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/25/world/olympics/olympics-paris-security-opening-ceremony.html

The city of Paris must be on tenterhooks until the opening ceremony is done and dusted.

You’d desperately hope they pass without an incident. These sort of global events are going to become too much hassle to host for a lot of cities in the west.

That’s a very strange rule.

He refused a cap against South Africa so he could see the North beat Ukraine in France.

Seems a good enough reason not to call him up in future.

Irish rubby bate in a QF?

I think it almost cost him a lot more than a cap too. I’m fairly sure he was the first lad to refuse a cap in the professional era (at least for a fringe player) and they had to amend contracts afterwards to say if you’ve an IRFU contract you’d essentially have to accept any call-up barring some other international options.

Who’d have thunk it?

I’d say all down to keeping the game moving and on schedule when they play dozens of games a day at the sevens comps…they take no time over tmo…but ya a shit rule

He wouldn’t play for his country because he wanted to watch another game?

That’s actually bonkers

2 Likes

Makes sense in that context I suppose.

Hmmm