Paris Olympics 2024

Am I alone in thinking all these pundits are too nice/safe/useless? A distinct lack of Jerry Kiernan types.

Tim Harnedy looks and sounds like a lad who has done his bollocks on the 2 lads.

The new norm for RTE under McBennet

1 Like

At least Sonia will lower the cutting bar in the athletics.

11 Likes

Jerry really was truly wonderful. He was extremely popular with people he knew and with his pupils as he was so straight shooting. He never got over some GAA mullocker getting Kerryman of the year and Jerry top ten in the world.

3 Likes

Is it a warm day in Cork? I’m heading down there now and feeling like I should have worn long trousers.

Does anybody from Cork ever wear long trousers ?

Both EuroSport and BBC are in full Team GB mode over here. Nauseating.

Tim Harnedy seems a nice chap but he’s called virtually everything wrongly in this Olympics so far. Might as well have Ursula Jacob sitting there doing the punditry for the rowing.

12 Likes

I’ll fit in fine so.

‘The cut of them calves boi!’ ‘You can tell ya never cycled up Patrick’s hill baaaiiii…’

3 Likes

Tim nice but dim

Nope, twas a proper Medal final

1 Like

In fairness mate, what do you expect exactly?

Yes. It’s gearing up for a cracking day

1 Like

I actually think its stems from the presenters who do everything in their power to defuse controversy/criticism.

The Cork rower dude was being critical yesterday but that’s the first one I’ve really seen. The boxing analysts are being very generous given our severe under performance in it vs what would have been expected.

1 Like

Fucking golf … I had coverage turned off

Tim certainly was too happy clappy here. A bronze is a great medal but he had everyone primed for gold.

Some aspersions being cast on the Romanians and I’d be in some agreement

Remember James Nolan had a pop at Jerry. We were a proper country then

*Ireland’s James Nolan failed to qualify for the finals of the men’s 1500 metres Sunday coming last in his semi-final heat and afterwards had some harsh words for his critics, especially the RTÉ’s Olympic Games panellist and former Irish Olympian Jerry Kiernan.

Nolan barely scraped into the semis coming in eighth in his heat, but qualifying as one of the nine fastest losers on a time of 3 minutes 41.14 seconds.

Nolan, who is his own trainer, has followed the vast majority of Irish athletes in these Games by failing to come anywhere near the medal reckoning.

After the race he told RTÉ’s Ryle Nugent: “I was a bit out of my depth today … but I’m in the top twenty in the world which is a great achievement.”

"I train over 700 times a year and spend the rest of the day trying to sort out injuries … but he is obviously a higher power on these things. I can’t see how a marathon runner slash cross country slogger can comment on these things. It would be like a bad judo coach commenting on Andy Lee’s boxing match."

He finished his comments by addressing the camera and saying, “Gerry, you’re a fool.”

Kiernan responded by listing his athletics credentials and telling Bill O’Herlihy: “I wasn’t being cruel or even being gratuitously harsh.”*

12 Likes