Presidential Election Thread. Aka, Should the deer in the Phoenix Park be getting worried?

Are you suggesting @bandage should run in that niche?

The Don has established a career path from celebrity TV to political office

1 Like

Michael O’Leary should be running the country

I always thought that but he gave in to the beards .

Marty Morrissey would get more votes than those cunts combined.

Marty couldn’t even win Dancing with the Stars

1 Like

Gemma is channelling Sarah Louise Mulligan.

The most astonishing thing is that she believes “the state” would actually have been capable of pulling off such a murder, never mind successfully covering it up.

Sarah Louise is seeking a nomination from Leitrim County Council today.

1 Like

Car crash interview with Gemma o’doherty on Radio 1 now with Pascal Sheehy.

Is she the Aine Chambers of the 10’s?

1 Like

Sean Gallagher has the Leitrim nomination sewn up after today’s proceedings. Some other aspirant was waffling about a Leitrim / Fermanagh post Brexit economic alliance and was greeted with open mirth and practically naked derision.

This economic arrangement is in place for the past century practically. Gobshite.

Maria Steens auntie.

I prefer “Theresa Lowe’s sister” myself.

Gemma is outraged about something, not quite sure what.

Áras hopeful clashes with councillors
FG representative asks O’Doherty to explain claims of collusion in Guerin death
BARRY ROCHE, GORDON DEEGAN, LORNA SIGGINS
Presidential hopeful Gemma O’Doherty clashed with members of Clare County Council yesterday over her claims that there was State collusion in the murder of journalist Veronica Guerin.

At a meeting of the council in Ennis to hear pitches from some of those seeking a nomination to contest next month’s election, Ms O’Doherty alleged that Ms Guerin’s brother, Cllr Jimmy Guerin, had defamed her in a tweet posted last weekend about the matter.

Cllr Mary Howard (Fine Gael) asked Ms O’Doherty to account for claims of State collusion in Ms Guerin’s death, over which a number of criminals involved with the John Gilligan gang were convicted.

She read out Mr Guerin’s post in which he said Ms O’Doherty’s claims were “offensive, disgusting and extremely hurtful”. In response, Ms O’Doherty told Ms Howard: “Well that is a libellous tweet. I have gone to the High Court before. I hope you are protected by privilege.”

Council cathaoirleach Michael Begley said the councillor was not protected by privilege at the meeting. Ms O’Doherty said: “I have now been defamed and I have stated on the record that I can stand over all of my work.”

She added: “Anyone who is interested in finding out the truth about a murdered relative would surely welcome anybody who is shining a light on that, so I cannot understand the reaction of Mr Guerin, but I will not be bullied by anybody.”

Ms O’Doherty said she did her work “on behalf of the Irish people” and that if she felt something was being covered up, nothing would silence her. She said she had been told of collusion in the murder by “a decent honest” member of the Garda and that the issue was not put in the public domain as part of her manifesto.

Cllr Cathal Crowe (Fianna Fáil) said Ms Howard had a right to ask the question as it was “fair game” and that “I don’t think throwbacks of defamation and lawyers help anyone’s cause”.

Ms O’Doherty said she had “a constitutional right to my good name”.

Centenaries
Meanwhile, presidential hopeful Seán Gallagher told Cork County Council members the next five years or so would be an important period in terms of centenaries. He said President Michael D Higgins had performed well in the approach and tone he adopted during commemorations to mark the centenaries of the 1916 Easter Rising and the 1913 Lockout.

“I want to continue this great work and I will be outlining further proposals in this area,” said Mr Gallagher.

Senator Joan Freeman told Sinn Féin councillor Paul Hayes that she had been campaigning for improved mental health services since she was 17 and would make mental health the theme of her presidency if elected. In particular, she would champion proper services for children with mental health issues who were scandalously neglected at present.

Mr Gallagher and Ms Freeman were the only candidates to make presentations to Cork County Council, but councillors can nominate others if they wish once they give three days’ notification to the council. They will vote next Thursday on any nominations they receive.

Separately, Fianna Fáil TD Éamon Ó Cuív has said he is declining offers to run for the presidency as he would “not do anything” that would force him to leave his party or “cause division”.

In a letter sent to Galway Fianna Fáil county councillors, the TD has described an offer by them in July to nominate him as “generous and flattering”. However, he has outlined four reasons for declining, including the “clear indication by Fianna Fáil spokespersons” that “even if Fianna Fáil councillors supported a county council nomination” that the nominee would be “forced out of the party and would have to stand as an independent”.

Gemma has totally lost the plot.

I’m not sure Ireland has a market for a self-pitying Twitter troll as president.

Mick Clifford better have a bloody good pretend legal team.