Purchasing spectacles

A nerdy “friend” of mine recently went for an eye test and was given a prescription for glasses. He’s off to get some tomorrow evening after work. So he brings the prescription with him… then what?

Does he just go up to the counter in Specsavers and hand in the prescription and ask for a pair? Do you need them to be made up or can you just take them off the shelf? Do you need loads of extra things like anti-scratch or something or are those types of things just gimmicks?

And do you get one of those yellow squares of cloth free with every purchase of spectacles?

All people who wear glasses are geeky misfits with serious personality defects. Fact.

However, I do have some information on the procedure. You do indeed waltz (or traditionally walk if that’s your preference) into the optician’s with your prescription.

Then one of the employees will invite you to select ‘frames’ from the offerings they have in the shop. It seems relatively straightforward but there’s all manner of glasses designs and shapes these days apparently.

They’ll probably give you a few different ones to try on to assess comfort and style before you make your choice. Then the lenses will have to be placed in the frames. If it’s a Dublin City Specsavers outlet then they might offer a ‘one hour’ service but more traditional opticians might require that you collect them the next day.

I don’t know what anti-scratch is. Most opticians will throw in a case and one of those yellow cloths (think the term for them is ‘shammy’). You can also acquire some solution to use when cleaning the lens. Some spectacle wearers are now taking advantage of special offers on a second pair of frames in case the first one gets damaged too.

This is all I know. Feel free to give me some good karma.

Re the anti-scratch I thought there was a few different things you could get on the lenses to reduce reflection, scratches, UV rays that sort of lark. Anyway I’ll pass on your advise to the geek in question.

i was a geeky spectacle wearing nerd until i invested in all day contacts about a year ago in order to boost my sex appeal. i’ve been assured the benefits will become obvious any day now.

i’d highly recommend availing of a 2 for 1 offer if you can find one (sometimes if you ask about it in specsavers they’ll say they’re not advertising it but they are doing it) having lost / broken countless pairs over the years. spec virgins like yourself are especially prone to damaging a pair.

i’d opt for the ant-scratch coating as an extra as it make’s the lenses more durable and, funnily enough, harder to scratch.

the anti-glare option is also good - nothing worse than people looking at you being able to see their reflection in your lenses. that’s the ultimate in geekiness. you’ll find all spec wearing tv personalities will have this.

i’d also recommend a pair of prescription sunglasses for driving, especially this time of year with a strong sun low in the sky.

The current Specsavers offer is:

Two For One including designer glasses and varifocal lenses

Style, choice and value - the latest 2 for 1 offer at Specsavers has it all. It includes all designer brands (2 pairs for 189), as well as our extensive 99 to 149 ranges. Standard PENTAX single vision lenses are provided in both pairs at no extra charge. Other single vision, varifocal and bifocal lenses* are also available in our 2 for 1 offer you just pay for the lenses in your first pair (excludes Extra Options).

I presume that covers what I’m after. Seems like you’re recommending a lot there Jugs with anti-glare, anti-scratch, sunglasses etc. Hard to justify spending wads of cash on glasses.

I think I know a fella just like yourself’s friend. He was a geek who wanted to be cool so bad. He used to take another nerd’s glasses and realise how much better he could see. He’d also be fond of finding glasses sometimes(at gigs and what have thou) and he’d wear them no matter how strong, as they always improved his eyesight tenfold. Yet he never took the plunge and got his own for fear of plunging the nerdyabyss. Ten years on he’s still going strong without a foureyes shout to be heard. Fair play to him for sticking for what he believed in- even if he sits close enough to the telly to lick it.

Respect for that man Juhniallio, I think we can all identify with principled men. There are too few of them in today’s world.

True, true but if he ever turns, I’m duty bound to smash those magnifiers(?) into his visage. Bet he won’t see that coming.

Unless every time you meet him he’s just found a pair and is wearing them for comedic effect. Can’t see a guy like that turning.

I’d have to let him away with that alright. Tis a strong sort who’ll en-nerd himself for the amusement of others. Tell him to come to the christmas party. I’d like to meet the man

All people who wear glasses are geeky misfits with serious personality defects. Fact.

Why does this remind me of Flango!!! Some good Karma just 4 that Bandage!!!

BenShermin wrote:

Why does this remind me of Flango!!! Some good Karma just 4 that Bandage!!!

Message to you from Ball-Ox Benny boy. “Fuck off ya steamer”

Flingo was always going to show up on this thread sooner or later :grin:

As far as I can SEE laser surgery is the way to go. I know two people who got it and never LOOKED back. No hassle - just in and out of the clinic in a blink of an EYE.

Great to see farmer finally getting the hang of this whole pun thing.

My mate went and bought glasses yesterdeay. He’s now sitting in work with the spectacles in front of him in their case (just collected at lunch) but now he’s wondering how people will react when he puts them on. So should he just put them on sitting at his desk and wonder will people laugh at him or is it best to just leave them until tomorrow and come in with them on?

I think I know your friend. He works with a girl that once went to school with me. Maybe tell him to ask her the best course of action seeing she once had specs (which I think she looks better with by the way).

Also ask him what qualification she got recently?

Tell your friend to send an email to ‘All Staff’ advising them that he’ll be sporting his new glasses for the first time at his desk from 3pm onwards. Make a real occasion out of it.

They can raise their glasses to the occasion!

You just got good karma for that Ben. We could form a mutually beneficial karma agreement here to leave the others in our wake.

Rocko, did your pal have everyone over to his desk at 3pm to show off his glasses? I must admit to being pretty envious having never attended a spectacle like that.