Question for the techies

Did you invest in one? Had to run a few lowbreeds I found down the side of my place in adjacent field. Constant on high alert for any noise since.

Myriad of options but was hoping someone could recommend wireless camera/floodlight combo they have themselves. Colour coordination with the grip on my other security infrastructure, my hurley, an added bonus

Solar?

I didn’t I’m the end. Got lights and a mains wired camera.

I have poor WiFi upstairs in house. I have those plug in boosters which don’t seem to do a lot.

Is Google mesh a good solution and how easy is it to set up.

Any alternatives to Google mesh ?

If you are merely cropping… have you used the Microsoft picture manager.

GIMP is good but you might need some of the additional patches downloaded too.

1 Like

Wifi boosters aren’t worth a fuck, you need a mesh system throughout the house and uplink the master one using an ethernet cable into your router. The TP Link ones should be good. Key is to turn off the wifi on your router and just have these lads managing it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071241G3R/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_IY5SFbZR6Q03Y

3 Likes

Would you be able to run a smart tv directly off one of those? Say at the far end off the house from where the router is?

If you buy the pack of three, you spread them around the house and nothing should be too far away from one of them so you have full coverage. Problem with smart tvs is that the wireless chipset in them is shite, so range and performance would be poor. I’d always try to have a wired connection for a TV or NAS. These mesh devices can backhaul to each other on wireless or in some cases backhaul through the power sockets. They should work as a single entity and balance the channel and power correctly around the place.

2 Likes

I can second this @Raylan. TV was shite while running off wifi, but the minute we switched to wired connection it started working seamlessly.

1 Like

XBox, playstation, TV, streaming/tv box … all such devices should be wired where continuous service & low ping is required

1 Like

+1

Wifi is frying the balls off lads

Can I run an ethernet cable from one of those pods that @Ambrose_McNulty linked straight into the TV?

No idea mate. My best friend gave me a dig out and he installed cabling in the house for me.

1 Like

We’ve had this question a good few times and I’ll give the same answer. You don’t need an expensive mesh system for a standard house. So unless you’re living in a mansion with 40 other people an ordinary Powerline Adapter (of which TP-Link are one of the main manufacturers) will work fine. Ethernet cable is always best but if you do go for the extenders always stick with the same manufacturer and the same device range.

You can. There are different models available so make sure you get ones with an ethernet port on the ‘slaves’. The ‘master’ takes an ethernet cable from the router to feed the power network. The basic models just give you WiFi from the slaves - grand if you’re just after WiFi… I’ve the AV600 from TP link (ethernet ports on all) and even have one out in the garage… works perfectly.

1 Like

Bang on boy huge difference for gaming

I’m going to disagree with you there. The powerline adapters are often fine but not always. Especially the ones that try to do wifi from the extender - I think they’re very hit and miss. The mesh wifi is a lot more reliable and allows you to have wired and wifi over a good area.

3 Likes

Are lads actually building Faraday cages within their homes, trapping harmful WiFi waves that are being propelled around and penetrating their kids soft skull tissue?

2 Likes

I said the same to him a while back and he asked me to prove it.

Anytime is see @habanerocat giving advice to lads on topics from Plumbing, Electrics, Laptops or Networking technologies, I get a mental image of the O’Reilly character from Fawlty Towers

11 Likes