Question

Anyone know the piece of music in the ad for RTE’s coverage of the hurling championship? It’s the instrumental piece playing in the background to the various clips of winning captains delivering their speeches. I think it’s pretty famous and has been used in movies but I’m an ignorant pleb and don’t know what it’s called.

[ame="
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YjhL9qFk08
eature=related"]YouTube - The West’s Awake[/ame]

That doesn’t answer my question. :smiley:

Anyone?

It’s piano driven and goes something like:

‘Dee, dee, dee…dee, dee.’

Might be in American History X or something.

[quote=“Bandage”]Anyone?

It’s piano driven and goes something like:

‘Dee, dee, dee…dee, dee.’

Might be in American History X or something.[/quote]

Doe, a deer, a female deer…

I am not familiar with the ad I must say.

I have watched that ad but I can’t say the theme tune ever jumped out at me.

Very atmospheric piece. Great ad actually. I thought a music snob like Farmer would know it.

:smiley:

When I was a young fella growing up in Ballyhale…

Right, is some cunt going to provide an answer to this question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM6bSc_l8iw&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksjVcYqntiQ#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYJjX_N8WT0&

iTunes ain’t recognising it.
could be the RTE orchestra, in which case you’re unlikely to find it anywhere outside of lyric and youtube.

Doesn’t ring a bell with me anyway.

Great ads all the same, lads. Great ads.

Connolly’s speech - talking about the Galway diaspora. :clap:

Powerful.

Let it go Bandage, you will never find out the answer!
Havn’t a clue myself, never heard it .
Nothing memorable about it though I wouldnt have thought, more about the speeches.

Just email the cunts. They’re usually good with these sort of things.

Seen a film a few weeks back and couldn’t remember the name of it and they replied within a day with all the details of it.

Hope this helps

The Holy Land - All Ireland Final Speeches

At one time the captain of the team which won the Sam Maguire or Liam McCarthy Cups merely mounted the steps of the Hogan Stand and said a few brief words about honour and team mentors.

All that changed in 1980 when the Galway Hurlers won their first All Ireland in 57 years, Joe Connolly from Castlegar made the first speech that had a resonance beyond the confines of Croke Park.

Amidst great emotional scenes Connolly spoke primarily in Irish - he spoke of emigrants overseas and off generations of hurlers that had never tasted the glory he did on that day. His spoke with great wit, his speech ending with a genuine echo of a speech Pope john Paul had made in Galway the previous year - ‘People of Galway we love you’. Joe McDonagh - who had captained Galway the previous year when they were defeated and who was later to become President of the GAA - also sang on the steps of the Hogan Stand. His rendition of the Wests Awake also became a template for those that followed.

Since Connolly’s speech it has become almost obligatory for Captains of victorious teams to attempt a rousing speech but - as the legendary commentator Jimmy Magee mentions in this programme - the degree to which they succeed depends on how long they’ve spent in ‘the wilderness’, without a trophy. Speeches that have remained in the memory over recent years include those of Anthony Daly when Clare broke their hoodoo in 1995 and Peter Canavan, the triumphant Tyrone captain lifting the Sam Maguire for the first time last September. Daly again addressed all those who’d worn the saffron and blue through years of derision and Canavan made oblique reference to some of the obstacles Tyrone footballers have had to overcome - how the GAA persevered through ‘The Troubles’. Indeed, he managed to combine this with a sideswipe at the media who had underestimated both Tyrone’s talent and determination. ‘They said Tyrone were a bit like the British Army. That we had no power south of the border. Well…’

Joe Mc Donagh - sang in Croke Park that September afternoon in 1980 :clap:

[quote=“Lazarus”]Hope this helps

At one time the captain of the team which won the Sam Maguire or Liam McCarthy Cups merely mounted the steps of the Hogan Stand and said a few brief words about honour and team mentors.

All that changed in 1980 when the Galway Hurlers won their first All Ireland in 57 years, Joe Connolly from Castlegar made the first speech that had a resonance beyond the confines of Croke Park.

Amidst great emotional scenes Connolly spoke primarily in Irish - he spoke of emigrants overseas and off generations of hurlers that had never tasted the glory he did on that day. His spoke with great wit, his speech ending with a genuine echo of a speech Pope john Paul had made in Galway the previous year - ‘People of Galway we love you’. Joe McDonagh - who had captained Galway the previous year when they were defeated and who was later to become President of the GAA - also sang on the steps of the Hogan Stand. His rendition of the Wests Awake also became a template for those that followed.

Since Connolly’s speech it has become almost obligatory for Captains of victorious teams to attempt a rousing speech but - as the legendary commentator Jimmy Magee mentions in this programme - the degree to which they succeed depends on how long they’ve spent in ‘the wilderness’, without a trophy. Speeches that have remained in the memory over recent years include those of Anthony Daly when Clare broke their hoodoo in 1995 and Peter Canavan, the triumphant Tyrone captain lifting the Sam Maguire for the first time last September. Daly again addressed all those who’d worn the saffron and blue through years of derision and Canavan made oblique reference to some of the obstacles Tyrone footballers have had to overcome - how the GAA persevered through ‘The Troubles’. Indeed, he managed to combine this with a sideswipe at the media who had underestimated both Tyrone’s talent and determination. ‘They said Tyrone were a bit like the British Army. That we had no power south of the border. Well…’

Joe Mc Donagh - sang in Croke Park that September afternoon in 1980 :clap:[/quote]

:guns: :clap:

[quote=“Lazarus”]Hope this helps

Joe Mc Donagh - sang in Croke Park that September afternoon in 1980 :clap:[/quote]

Thats powerful stuff lads. Connoly uses a phrase in his speech at about 27 seconds some thing like “ta glinndi i do gree”. what does that mean

[media=youtube]u0y35GrYKqg

[quote=“dancarter”]Thats powerful stuff lads. Connoly uses a phrase in his speech at about 27 seconds some thing like “ta glinndi i do gree”. what does that mean
[/quote]

joy in their hearts Dan, joy in their hearts.

:clap::clap::guns:

gliondar i do chro