Random Questions About Ireland

Why is Clare in Munster? Surely it should be in Connacht.

Where is the start of the Hook Peninsula?

What’s the point of Carlow?

Or any of the midlands really?

1 Like

Can you deal with my query first please.

The Dalcassians roamed out of east clare into the rest of what is now Munster, so when it was established as a region Clare went with the Limerick/Tipp direction rather than their northern neighbours.

cc @ChocolateMice. Is this in the ballpark of being some bit correct?

1 Like

Because it was in the kingdom of Munster. It was stolen from the useless cunts in Connacht in a war so Limerick people could have some place to put their holiday homes

4 Likes

You’re fairly on the money there mate… Tho Clare was part of Connaught for a period… If anything, the Aran islands should be part of Clare.

I think there was some Royal decree . That begs another question why is the part of Limerick north of the Shannon not in Clare ?

The Munster fairies defeated the Connaught fairies in a game of hurling for Clare… True story. I wouldn’t expect Tommy tans like the OP to get the reference to indigenous Irish culture tho.

In the period from 1568 - 1578 the Lord Deputy, Sir Henry Sydney, subdivided the existing shire of Connacht into the counties of Clare, Galway, Mayo and Sligo. Clare, which in a physical sense, belongs more to Connacht than to Munster, was carved out of the mediaeval territory of the O’Brien’s of Thomond. It was returned to Munster in 1639.

I’m looking for fact based answers, not Muldoon gibberish.

2 Likes

Huh? Limerick was built on both sides of the Shannon like any normal city in the world

The O’Briens - Dal Cassian tribe originally of the Deise (cc @Fagan_ODowd) forged their own kingdom in North Munster and eventually were the high kings of Munster… Their immediate kingdom consisted of Clare, Limerick and Tipp with a bit of Cork… in essence Killaloe, as their seat, was the capital of Munster and at one stage the capital of Ireland.

Limerick was once all the way out to near sixmilbridge… We gave to the Clare lot then took it back again.

That’s more like it.

Before that the Munster fairies defeated the Connaught fairies for it in a game of hurling. True story.

As the age old ridddle goes “where does Mac’s nose end and the hook peninsula begin?”

6 Likes

You can’t have it every way. Dalcassian Septs included O’Muldoon (Malone) of Ogonelloe in east Co. Clare, among others.

The O’Connors came down and smashed them, then fucked all their women. Hon Connacht!

Was it not Dromoland castle rather than Killaloe?

1 Like