RAVENOUS (Part 1)

Any one ever eat Kobe beef? Cc @TheUlteriorMotive @briantinnion. They had a Kobe steak on view in Higgins’s there this morning. Looked like a thick slice of fat with a few flecks of meat in it?

1 Like

You could have gotten a small bit of it and Bobby wouldn’t be long telling you what the score was. Your description isn’t exactly mouthwatering…

I had it twice. I found both times completely underwhelming for the price of it. I wasn’t paying either time. In America you can literally pay any money for a steak in some of the fancier places. They sell it like wine - terroir etc. emperors new clothes but maybe we just have really good beef in Ireland

As a treat I have a Higgins Chautebriand for later. I’d take that any day of week over it.

3 Likes

Opted for the T-Bone. Top notch :ok_hand:

11 Likes

Is it like foie gras?

Looked like a cut of lard with pink flecks through it.

I’ve only had a taste of fois gras through a squeezed up face to taste it. I don’t like idea of ating any bird or part of a bird except chicken and maybe at a stretch Turkey.

It probably is. It’s fatty and buttery. A burger with some Kobe or Wagyu in it is probably best way to have it.

How much was it in Higgins

Didn’t ask. I’ve heard of people paying 75 euro for a Wagyu steak in there.

1 Like

Wagyu is unreal

Is that the Uruguayan stuff they had on their website this week? €16 for a 10oz on the bone I think it was.

According to the website the Kobe beef is 125 euro a kilo. It’s Japanese

That looks smashing. Didn’t realise the Ratoath Inn was back serving grub

Umi. I’ve never heard of it.

Is it a bit of a cod ?

Never heard of it either. Looked like a very fatty ribeye.

1 Like

Steak lovers will know that the tastiest morsel of good you’ll get is the fatty ‘eye’ off a proper ribeye steak,
The wagyu/Kobe beef has a very high fat content but it isn’t that tough fat you find any the bottom of your striploin or sirloin, it’s melt in the moth fat which is mostly rendered off by cooking at a high heat.

I wouldn’t have that kind of money but I’d love to taste the really expensive stuff

1 Like

M&S do a Wagyu Sirloin for around 19 quid

Give these a whirl

Absolutely correct on the rib eye, the 2 for €10 out of Aldi are nicer than a cut of anything else out of a run of the mill butcher although I think this is due to the quality of beef being so high here in general. I doubt you’d get that sort of value on the continent or anywhere else bar some south American countries.

2 Likes

Gonna give the tayto omelette a twist

With caramelised onions

1 Like

The SuperValu signature rib eyes are 2 for 10 as well and are as good as Iv had from any butcher… Sirloin and fillet in same range not at same level…

1 Like