RAVENOUS (Part 1)

3 years in a row dropping your pants was probably a bit much.

1 Like

The one good thing my mother in law does is sausage stuffing - its off the charts and usually overshadows the turkey

2 Likes

Lovely with a crafty beer

5 Likes

Any tips for making non-gluey mashed potatoes? I’ve started using a ricer which helps but they still come out a bit gluey and non as smooth as you’d get in a restaurant, for example. Heating up the butter and milk helps?

Leave them sitting in a pot after they have been boiled for a while until they cool down helps. I’d never lump in butter and milk straight away. It allows them get a bit fluffy.

1 Like

Interesting. People online seem to say you should “mash” them immediately with heated up ingredients.

There is still a good bit of moisture content on the potatoes even after just draining them. I usually leave them sit 10 or 15 mins with the lid on to keep them some way warm before adding the rest but each to their own.

2 Likes

No bother, will give it a try next time.

Definitely heated milk and butter helps. Mash like fuck for a good couple of minutes. Then fluffing them up with a fork helps to make them fluffy (funnily enough).

1 Like

Isn’t the type of potato key here not what you add to them?

1 Like

I used russets, which seem to be recommended.

Lick my bollox “Gaz”

5 Likes

After straining them, shake them with lid off outside

1 Like

If you’re in the far east which I think you are, you’ll struggle to find floury spuds.

Drain in a collander. Put them back into still piping hot, now empty pot from colander. Heat will evaporate more water in the hot pot.

Leave for 10 in there with lid off as want to evaporate, not create condensation with lid on it.

Add fuckton of butter, splash of milk, good bit of salt and pepper and mash like mad.

1 Like

Had a Higgins’s burger there for the tea. I’d say it was the best burger I’ve ever had.

4 Likes

Love a plate of mussels me … Berra lemon ,water and pepper…delish

I’m probably reading this post incorrectly, but are you saying the highlight of the holiday season is slipping the MIL a dart on Christmas day?

9 Likes

Cheers. I can get Russets, which are supposed to be ok? Lots of ‘premium’ expat supermarkets over here with a few different types of potatoes from the US/Oz, plus obviously Marks and Spencers.

2 Likes