RAVENOUS (Part 1)

des fruits de mer?

Indeed. Crab, oysters, whelks, clams, langoustines and crevettes. Ate every last bit of it.

1 Like

I was in St. Jean de Monts last month - the French really do food better. I’d say I have gout since

3 Likes

When it’s good it’s top class…I think on average though Ireland is every bit as good…ate in a v nice BBQ resteraunt last week…asked for vegetables got a fried tomato and chips

2 Likes

there isn’t near as much variety here. I was in a few small touristy towns and you’ve a whole street of restaurants to choose from. Giles Croix de vie the same. I’d say 50 or 60 restaurants (probably exaggerated but there was whole streets just with restaurants) and that has a population under 10k

a lovely disdain for fast food places as well over there.

I love the lifestyle

2 Likes

Agreed. We have cycled 30kms plus a day from town to town without ever leaving a cycle path…

Good variety in food alright but plenty of it is average

Any suggestion for somewhere for me to stop between Nantes and roscoff …smaller town is fine just want to kill an hour or so and eat on drive up there

I don’t. I flew from Nantes to Dublin.

1 Like

Cc @Fagan_ODowd

Coming from la Rochelle direction

Is Vannes on that route, it’s a lovely small medieval town, in typical French fashion old and new town

Food can be very good in France but also r ally bad, no different to Ireland or Britain

1 Like

Looks like a good shout…not out of way much and has a decathalon

Sounds like Limerick

6 Likes

Wouldn’t argue with Vannes but I’d make sure I’d plenty of time in Roscoff. Lovely little classic Breton town with nice restaurants.

1 Like

You are having a laugh here. You can get bad food in France no doubt but rock up to any village in France and there’s a fair chance you’ll get a decent meal in a bistro or brasserie. Do the same in an Ireland and if you’re lucky you’ll get 3,000 calories wrapped in paper to soak up the grease.

10 Likes

I’d love to help Dan here but he has me on ignore

Cheers. Been in roscoff a good few times alright…kids a bit older now and ferry leaves at 11 pm now instead of 9pm so will try and grab a nice meal there…any recs?

A fair chance they will all be closed for the afternoon as well! Seafood has been excellent here unsurprisingly…the moules et frites a big hit with the kids

2 Likes

I’m not having a laugh or bullshitting but in fairness I’d never rock up to a village in Ireland looking for food so I don’t know what the options are, I suppose in a largish town with two minutes research you’ll find a good meal, you name the town!
But I’ve had a few poor meals in France, most commonly they’ve been far too simplistic with the food, overcooked steak frites, seafood with no accompaniment etc, but I’ve eaten lovely food in France.

In my opinion the south coast of England (Somerset also) is a great place to stop off at a random pub and get a great meal, in my experience you have better odds of a satisfying meal than you’ll have in France

That’s my experience anyway

1 Like

The point was the variety.

Giles de croix de vie is a town of around 7.5k people and you could eat at a diffetent restaurant once a week for almost a year.

Midleton is a town of about 12k and caters for all the villages around.

I’d say off the top of my head without including chinese joints, there are max 10 restaurants. About 3 you’d actually eat out of

I wasn’t responding to any particular post just the general chat.

I’m not familiar with your place in France, but my point was genuine based on my experience.
Midleton is actually a grand town to get food in

You said food was no different in France to Ireland or Britain.

In my experience that is far, far from the reality of it.

Your chances of getting a fine meal in a random place are far higher in France.

2 Likes