Red wine

[quote=“therock67”]Yeah I think I looked into it before and wasn’t sure so just left it.

Can’t believe you’re that close to a silver pen though and you’re not camped outside Pelican House.

Bandage, you don’t have to spend much to get a reasonable bottle (not that I’d have a clue) but just get a mediocre type thing and try a few different types to see what you like and you won’t look back.

Went through a spell of drinking wine when I was around 17/18. Remember discussing it with Juhniallio one night and we reckoned that Winos were called Winos for a reason - because they’d clearly worked out that wine got you most bang for your buck. Don’t know if that is the case but it’s certainly a pleasant way to spend an evening.[/quote]

best bang for your buck according to a ex junkie workmate of mine was a bottle of cough mixture mixed with a naggin of whiskey

Don’t suggest I have the pox again Puke. :wink:

you must have got it off a dirty toilet seat SS** or wearing your flat mates jocks;)…

I’d say you picked it up off a Texel ewe, ya dirty Muldoon ya.

In fairness that sounds like a cracking idea. I always felt Toilet Duck was taking things too far.

never had one thank god…was told to go get tested by a bird i was with once…lets just say i put down a fair bad few weeks waiting for the results…

:wink:

They have powerful drugs for HIV now Puke, it shouldn’t be the end of the world for you.

all clear thankfully…that would be one cocktail that i woudn’t like to take…

end up looking like tom hanks in philidelphia or worse ncc;)…

Went through a big red wine drinking phase a couple of years back, 3 or 4 pints after work on a Friday evening, pick up a few bottles of red on the way home, light a fat one and relax. You’d pick up a nice bottle for about a tenner.

Prefer to drink white with food though.

Fucking left my red wine downstairs when I went down to get peanuts and now face the horrific commute all the way down there to get the bottle and bring it back to beside the glass where it belongs. Fucking shite discovery to make at thsi stage of an evening.

Are you living in one of those junkie infested tower blocks that Roddy Doyle liked to write about, Rocko?

I aspire to that level of civilisation SS**. Meath isn’t blessed with tower blocks or any equivalent. We’ve to make do with monolitichic dwellings and mobile homes on the Gold Coast (Mornington to Gormanston).

What class of red wine are you supping down rocko…

A class of red wine that retailed at 3 for €20 this evening.

It’s Blossom Hill Soft & Fruity.

Rarely buy New World wine and if I do I tend to go for Wolf Blass which I generally like. But there’s fuck all choice in the local supermaket so I just went with the timely bargain and I’m 2 down and opening the third.

Having a night in tonight.

Chicken kebab - check.
Only Fools - check.

And of course the bottle of red.

Have to do work tomorrow from home so I am going enjoy the relaxation tonight.

I’m going to be alcohol free this weekend. Was meant to be heading out with Appendage at 9pm but simply didn’t feel like it and broke the news to him at about 8.40pm. He took the news surprisingly well…it was almost as if he didn’t want me to come along in the first place. Anyway, there’s a half a bottle of some cheapo Australian red win in the fridge but I’m satisfied with a cup of tea for now.

Don’t know when that happened to me last.

Christ, for a second there, I thought this was going to develop into a decent thread about wine.

Anyhoo, red wine, the only thing that can beat it is decent beer. I’d drink a glass of red (usually shiraz) with dinner every night and myself and Mrs Fitzy would get through 2 or 3 bottles at the weekend, we try to but one nice bottle of wine every weekend (thats excluding Mrs Fitzy;s consumption of Sauvignon Blanc).

I haven’t had a drink of decent French stuff in years, I must get back into that, I used to drink good French wine all the time when I lived in Dublin. Now its pretty much all South Australian and Coonawarra Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon I drink. There’s so much choice in Australia and so many good wines, we’re very lucky here.

The only problem is that its very diffuclt to get good French, Italian or other new world wines here. Personally, I love the big, fruity grapes like Shiraz and Can Sav, and I think apart from Australian stuff, the best I’ve tasted has been Chilean Cab Sav (I’d heartily recommend Valdezarro if any of you can get your hands on it, I used to drink copious amounts of it when I lived in Rathmines).

I have about 15 bottles, laughingly referred to as “cellared” in the spare bedroom (coolest part of the house) and I’m opening some of the best stuff on Christmas day (we have about 20 people coming here on Christmas Day), I’m shitting myself about them, because I think some of them were badly affected on New Years day 2 years ago when the temperature got to 48 degrees.
So on Christmas Day I’m opening:
A Henschke Blend from 1999
A St Hugo Cabernet Sauvignon 1998
A Penfolds Bin 128 1998

1998 was apparently one of the best ever Australian vintages, so hopefully these bottles have kept, they should be spectacular now. I’ll need to decant them all first of course.

Not that I’m a wine snob or anything, right now I’m drinking a perfectly good Shiraz that cost about $6.

peanuts in bed

is that the new thing or has married life commenced