Referendum 2024

A great day for Mother Eire.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/AislingOConne11/status/1766410633447157807?t=IEPhgGy4xd1Z4BtlOssOtw&s=19

It’s not over yet, wait til the minutes of the interdepartmental committee are made available

That’s Nemo Rangers’ indoor facility. Some job.

It’s now clear the Marxist agitators on the forum are the real awkward squad who won’t countenance that the majority don’t want what they want.

12 Likes

https://twitter.com/AislingOConne11/status/1766410633447157807?s=19

They are claiming “they” tried to rig the election. Others are saying it’s a dress rehearsal to rig the next general election.

Not sure who “they” are, but assuming they are referring to political parties the who couldn’t even word a home run referendum properly.

1 Like

@Kyle this is what the government get for letting woke student union types set the agenda for them

2 Likes

Democracy is the real winner.

3 Likes

The feminist student unionists will wonder how they managed to end up on the anti-women side :grinning:

2 Likes

A slap in the face for the NGO industrial complex.

Miggledy is running again I heard. He’s going to identify as a woman and test the constitution.

He’s testing the fabric in his suits

3 Likes

We are a laughing stock

How do you figure that?

Paddy Government loses 2 referendums headlining on BBC

2 Likes

I’m being facetious.
We are still a great little country

The Irish Mammy was saved, she is sacrosanct in our Heritage

1 Like

Not sure if other countries would be the same as this but here how I see it… (not saying I agree with the following things but I feel a majority in Ireland do)

Woke Ireland
Huge majority are in favour of the following I think

Gay marriage
Abortion
Divorce
More money to education especially in disadvantaged areas
Universal health care
Woman’s place is not in the home
We need to look after refugees
Most Irish people are inherently decent

Anti woke Ireland
Huge majority would also agree with the following

We have taken too many immigrants
If you’re born a man you’re a man, woman a woman
Our welfare is too generous
Our courts are too soft
Taxes are too high
You can’t trust the government
Most travellers are cunts and not to be trusted
You’re not allowed say anything any more or you’ll be cancelled
Most Irish people are selfish cunts

A lot of those contradict each other but there ya go

4 Likes

Let be honest its not, its fair and considering the cost of living in ireland its in line but higher compared to other countries in raw euro value. They system needs to be updated for eligibility etc. Welfare tourism is a thing which is a driver in the anti immigration arguement.

Varadkar humbled as Irish voters refuse to change ‘sexist’ constitution

Irish government wanted to change the definition of ‘family’
new
“It was our responsibility to convince a majority of people to vote ‘yes’ and we’ve clearly failed to do so,” Leo Varadkar told reporters on Saturday afternoon

Kieran McDaid
Saturday March 09 2024, 5.15pm GMT, The Times

The Irish government’s long-term survival was called into question after Leo Varadkar, the taoiseach, admitted it had suffered “two wallops” in embarrassing double referendum defeats.

Voters rejected proposals to extend the meaning of family beyond one defined by marriage and to include those based on “durable” relationships. An amendment that proposed deleting references to a woman’s roles and duties in the home from the country’s constitution and replacing it with a new article that acknowledges family carers was also defeated.

All three government parties — Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil and the Green Party — and the main opposition party, Sinn Fein, had campaigned for “yes” votes. However, the poll was marred by a combination of confusion over the new proposed wording, voter apathy and fatigue with the current coalition: Varadkar’s Fine Gael party has been in power since 2011 and must call a general election by March next year at the latest.

Counting got under way at 9am on Saturday after the public went to the polls on Friday. Early tallies showed strong support for the “no” camp, signalling an embarrassing defeat coming up for the government.

Varadkar conceded that defeat at Dublin Castle shortly before 4pm, saying the government accepted the result and “responsibility for the result”.

“It was our responsibility to convince a majority of people to vote ‘yes’ and we’ve clearly failed to do so,” he said.

“I think we struggled to convince people of the necessity or need for the referendum at all, let alone detail on the wording, because that’s obviously something we’re going to have to reflect on into the weeks ahead.

“Clearly we got in wrong. [Former taoiseach] Enda Kenny famously said once that the electorate gives the government a wallop — this is two wallops.”

The Green Party leader, Eamon Ryan, was the first government member to appear at the count in Dublin before lunchtime. He said: “It’s clear we lost. You have to respect the voice of the people.

“It’s a complex issue … it took a long time to come up with the wording because it’s not easy. It’s quite complicated when you try to change the constitution in any way. We didn’t convince the public of the argument for a yes-yes vote.”

A low turnout was reported, which in some areas was understood to be less than 30 per cent of registered voters. The two questions were counted separately, with both results expected to be declared at Dublin Castle by Saturday evening.

The Sinn Fein leader, Mary Lou McDonald, said her party was “very much” in touch with the Irish public, despite the two referendums being defeated. “You’ll recall that I said from the get-go that we were very much in favour of removing sexist language from the constitution, very much in favour of an inclusive definition of families,” she said.

‘“But we knew that the government did come up short in terms of the ‘caring’ wording. They disregarded the citizens’ assembly, they didn’t consult with opposition or with other stakeholders. They didn’t collaborate and they failed to convince.

“I know, talking to lots of people, that people were left with an unbalanced decision to make and I think it’s a great pity that the government went on this kind of solo run, and they’ve had their answer.

“I don’t think there has been a lack of clarity for people, I think people when they came out and voted were very clear how they were voting and why they were voting in a particular way.

“If there is one big takeaway message from this, it is that support for people with disabilities as full and equals citizens and support for carers is something that has to be taken seriously by government. I think it’ll fall to the next government to vindicate those rights.”

McDonald said Sinn Fein will “return to” consideration of the “sexist language” in Ireland’s constitution if the party is in the next government.

Senator Michael McDowell, a former tanaiste — deputy prime minister — and justice minister who campaigned for a no-no vote, said it was “unwise social experimentation” with the Irish constitution.

McDowell, who was part of the Lawyers For No group, said: “I trust individual voters. They looked at what was being put before them and they said ‘no’. Many of them will have a slightly different perspective as to why, but in the end we live in a republic and the sovereign power is the people and every individual vote is as good as anybody else’s vote.

“This is an emphatic repudiation of what I think was unwise social experimentation with the constitution.”

The Labour leader, Ivana Bacik, said: “The result at this early stage certainly looks disappointing for those who campaigned for a yes-yes vote.

“I do think and it is clear that it is the government’s responsibility … Why did they not go out more assertively and sell it to the people? What we saw from government, particularly in the last few weeks as the ‘no’ side was gaining ground, was a lacklustre campaign.”