Referendum 2024

Apologies if this has already been started elsewhere.
Looks like it’s going to be a No No for me.

3 Likes

I agree whats the whole poi t of the referndums. The yes side cant give a credible answer to what will be implemented and laws brought in based on the changes

I’d trust Michael McDowell over Roderic O’Gorman.

The current constitution does not discriminate against single parent families in any way, shape or form.

Double No for me.

4 Likes

FFG just cannot be trusted on anything at this stage.

5 Likes

You prefer the women’s work in the home phrasing?

No from me.

4 Likes

It doesnt say a womens work is in the home ffs it says they have a right to stay at home to raise a family and not be forced into the labour market due to economic needs. Imho its more of choice for a women than saying its their place.

2 Likes

Hell no

2 Likes

If Roderic, Glas and Sid are for it then I’m automatically agin it.

15 Likes

A woman (and @mikehunt) has the right to choose to stay at home. We must defend this.

1 Like

Incorrect.

“The State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.”

That’s if she stays within the home you left out the rest of the wording to list the part that offends you. As usual you leave out the overall context

10 Likes

Good one Roderic,why don’t you post the whole text

2 Likes

“In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.”

There you go.

@glasagusban is not to be trusted

1 Like

There you go pal. It was a simple enough question anyway I thought.

Durable relationships my hole.

Vote early, vote often, vote no.

1 Like

Current legislation covers all that.

2 Likes

No from me. There’s not a single woman in Ireland affected by that piece of the constitution.

7 Likes

You left out this part for context

The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

Now if you ask me the state is failing mother (or partners) that do decide to stay at home to raise a family by not providing supports. We are now at a stage where this choice is not achievable in the current economic climate. You need 2 incomes to buy a home, pay for childcare and live as opposed to 20 years ago where a family could be comfortable on a single income.

Other than saying its progressive to change a misogynistic wording what else are the yes side saying is beneficial? A pointless referendum that doesnt address any real issue such as the gay marriage or abortion referendums.

2 Likes