Regular Savings - Suggestions

Describe your savings and investment portfolio for me please, pal.

At your age you should he able take a certain level of risk. Throw 15k into a passive fund, 10k into some form of bond and leave 5 in a lump sum that’s easily accessible. **

**I haven’t a breeze really but this the ratio I have my meager saving in.

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1117143, member: 686”]At your age you should he able take a certain level of risk. Throw 15k into a passive fund, 10k into some form of bond and leave 5 in a lump sum that’s easily accessible. **

**I haven’t a breeze really but this the ratio I have my meager saving in.[/QUOTE]
How does one go about putting that kind of money into funds? Presumably, the likes of davys are for big hitters?

Try TD Waterhouse, reasonable enough charges from what I recall

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1117143, member: 686”]At your age you should he able take a certain level of risk. Throw 15k into a passive fund, 10k into some form of bond and leave 5 in a lump sum that’s easily accessible. **

**I haven’t a breeze really but this the ratio I have my meager saving in.[/QUOTE]

Get a “short to medium term” potential investment report from @thedancingbaby on Bayan’s prospects going forward. :pint:

Td waterhouse or Rabo. Both allow very small level of investment in funds I.e €100 and up

Shove it into prize bonds for 12 months you mad bastard.

I would have thought that a successful businessman like yourself would be chasing killer capital gains rather than pissy little amounts of interest.

What are these?

big ones

I want lots of gains, mate. I’ve just never thought about it too much. Give me some specific instructions to follow.

Pork bellies

Pumpkin stocks.

Afternoon, chaps. I’m considering investing in a fund that purchases a mix of equities and bonds, has some downside protection built in and would be deemed moderately risky compared to other funds. What do you make of such funds @Rocko[/USER], [USER=6]@briantinnion[/USER] and [USER=110]@Fran?

@Bandage Please let me know when you are investing. I would like to follow you in.

As an aside, how is your hip joint?

Is it an exchange traded fund Bandage or are you using a large investment/insurance company?

The latter, mate.

What are the management fees? You’d be surprised how much they can erase potential gains.

Any of ye know Is the anyway of accessing vanguard index funds from Ireland?

Wihzkid trader @Julio Geordio, who famously foretold the great pumpkin futures price crash of November 2013, isn’t being too forthcoming with advice here

US Equities have been climbing for the last 2 and half years - ETFs seem to be the product of choice taking over from tradional equity funds. Foreign exchange if you have the capital and balls is another way of making a great return on your investment, but would require a lot of research.

The futures market is generally just used for hedging @TreatyStones i.e opening a short position on an S&P index future for example which the investor has exposure obviously negates somewhat the risk.

For me you’d have to be investing at the very least for 5 years without even considering redemptions to make a profit, as the lads have said Management fees, and all the other typical taxes you pay in this country are a massive disincentive to the normal guy with 20/30k in savings, hence they are very much the exception and retail banks can rip people off by taking in deposits and paying fuck all interest all the while making double back at least on what you’ve put in.