Regular Savings - Suggestions

Decided to get my act together today and walked down to my local Bank of Ireland branch to get some financial advice. I was impressed enough with their lump sum options however their Dualsaver regular saving account didn’t hugely impress me given the sweep from 3% to 1.75% when savings reach 5k.

Had a brief look around there at other financial institutions who mainly seem to have variable rates which would not hugely appeal to me as I am quite risk adverse.

Any of ye bankers, or anyone else, aware of other decent options out there?

It depends on you though.
Do you want “on demand” money or long term savings getting at money twice a year for example.
Ulster Bank have a decent savings scheme there if you had some money to put in to start it up (15k).
I think the “its your money” website would be a good start though.
Rabo was the business but not sure any more. I have 2 rabo accounts but I think their rates are gone down alot. Worth checking though.

Yours etc,
GSH.

I use this one farmer, gonna spoiler it cos I dont want everyone reading it and ruining it for the rest of us.

[quote=“Garda Sean Horgan”]It depends on you though.
Do you want “on demand” money or long term savings getting at money twice a year for example.
Ulster Bank have a decent savings scheme there if you had some money to put in to start it up (15k).
I think the “its your money” website would be a good start though.
Rabo was the business but not sure any more. I have 2 rabo accounts but I think their rates are gone down alot. Worth checking though.

Yours etc,
GSH.[/QUOTE]

Rabo gone well down Guard from itsyourmoney. 2% for regular monthly savings.

Ulster Bank seem to have the best one. 4.75%. None of this sweep bullshit and no limit on the number of withdrawals.

Yeah I have the Ulster Bank savings too. Started in November having never had savings before.
Still haven’t touched it thankfully.

You should have back Dublin at 6/4 to win Leinster. After a patchy performance they are down to 4/7 now and an impressive back to lay proposition already. That price will shorten before they play their next game.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Decided to get my act together today and walked down to my local Bank of Ireland branch to get some financial advice. I was impressed enough with their lump sum options however their Dualsaver regular saving account didn’t hugely impress me given the sweep from 3% to 1.75% when savings reach 5k.

Had a brief look around there at other financial institutions who mainly seem to have variable rates which would not hugely appeal to me as I am quite risk adverse.

Any of ye bankers, or anyone else, aware of other decent options out there?[/QUOTE]

Anglo

Despite its current owners & its previous owners:

It is offering the best rates on depoits (in todays market)

If Anglo hurts too much:

An Post

Summary of the rates and the conditions on askaboutmoney

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=20747

Fristly Farmer the term is risk averse, not adverse.

Secondly I’d recommend investing in some diversified funds. Rabo have a good offering as far as I know for investing regular savings into their managed funds. I know you said you were risk averse but do you really need the money? If it’s to invest and grow you won’t find a better time than now to start buying into funds. Interest rates are too low at the moment to justify leaving the money on deposit.

[quote=“briantinnion”]Fristly Farmer the term is risk averse, not adverse.

Secondly I’d recommend investing in some diversified funds. Rabo have a good offering as far as I know for investing regular savings into their managed funds. I know you said you were risk averse but do you really need the money? If it’s to invest and grow you won’t find a better time than now to start buying into funds. Interest rates are too low at the moment to justify leaving the money on deposit.[/QUOTE]

Get lost Tinnion.

Who asked you?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Get lost Tinnion.

Who asked you?[/QUOTE]

The only person to take advice from on this is the man who correctly predicted the downfall of the property market and the banks, TFK Finance and Transport Spokesman Ben Shermin.

[quote=“myboyblue”]I use this one farmer, gonna spoiler it cos I dont want everyone reading it and ruining it for the rest of us.

[/QUOTE]

:smiley:

Say you were looking to investment a smallish amount over a 5 year period (we’ll just say 200 a month) that would be 12k over the term. Would you be wasting your time with a managed fund over that kind of time frame? Would you need to have it in there for longer to really see the benifits of it (market cycles etc).

Here, Runt - how about you fook off with the questions?

Farmer, same goes for you.

Agreed?

Carter will take all your money, no questions asked.

Carter is good leaving “deposits” in the banks alright.

Wahey!!!

Banterologist.

Banterologist? Where did you study?

Here

Surely theres better ways of generating extra money now with your savings than leaving it in a bank to gather dust. Here’s one such example: