Retiring Football/Soccer Stars Tribute Thread

Retiring LOI footballer Gary Rogers will start in goal for Meath next year.

:grinning:

Bendtner :disappointed_relieved:

Beautiful words

https://twitter.com/JackWilshere/status/1545371986506964992?t=7eh_9e6lqbYTXGAbBsli1g&s=19

“Sorry, that tweet has been deleted” is a novel way for Jack Wilshere to announce his retirement.

1 Like

I was actually watching that Emirates Cup game in the summer of 2011 when he went off with what looked to be the most innocuous injury that ended up basically finishing him as a top level player.

I hope he finds peace in retirement.

Blaise Matuidi has retired at 35.

I recall him been linked to Liverpool when the Yanks took over but King Kenny went for Charlie Adam.

An excellent player. Serious engine.

3 Likes

Gareth Bale.

Unfortunate comma after “has been”.

I thought he’d have a PR team to proof-read this.

1 Like

One for the “I was certain he was already retired thread” perhaps

Hounded out by the John Bull tabloids because he didn’t show enough pashun and run around like a headless chicken. A smashing player

2 Likes

Kloppo woulda played him right back.

Lion Bonucci to retire at the end of next season.

One of the greats.

It did not come home: Italy wins Euro 2020: ohnotheydidnt — LiveJournal - Page 3

2 Likes

The good one of the Hazards has called it a day.

I presume this post is 5 years old.

The youngest of them all was even better.Fond of a drink though.Was an even better hurler.

2 Likes

:smiley:

Giorgio Chiellini retiring is a seismic moment in the history of football. All throughout my football watching life, I’ve seen so many great defenders. The likes of Vidic, VVD, Ramos etc. All great players but, all the time, deep down, we all always knew “yeah but there’s an Italian lad who’s just better.” And then, on cue, a major tournament would roll around and we’d see Baresi or Maldini or Nesta or Cannavaro and realise “yeah, there IS an Italian who is better.”

I’d put Chiellini in that camp. Not stylish. Not able to play out from the back. Just a fucking awesome defender who’d die before letting a goal go in softly. He could well be last of his kind. Sad for Italy and sadder for football.

11 Likes