Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Twas a dreadful selection. Curran must have been grinning as he saw this young lad trotting into him

He was a real talent as a young fella, I thought he’d be a star, I followed his career as I met his sister a few times through special Olympics, a lovely girl

Dogged with injuries unfortunately

:roll_eyes:.Surely Declan O’Sullivan is head and shoulders above these mentioned.

2 Likes

Surely, but I’m confident he meant wing forwards

Looks like Colm Cavanagh has called it a day, great servant for Tyrone but looked to be on the wane this year.

1 Like

He was a fantastic full back

1 Like

Any chance Mickey will go with him?

He’s another year on his contract so I presume he’ll see that out. Bound to be under a bit of pressure though.

1 Like

They’ve gone back a step this year you’d feel.

Very iffy this year, never put in a full 70 minute performance. Good few players looked out of form in Hampsey, Cavanagh, Sludden and McCann. Without McShane it would have been a short year.

He is probably still getting the most out of them though. Ulster football is in an awful state. Of the 4 major competitions this year (senior club, minor, U20 & senior intercounty) they don’t have a single finalist. Only Ulster finalist last year was Mickeys team. Since Donegal won Sam in 2012 there has been 1 Ulster winner in any of them 4 competitions. That’s 28 chances for silverware and they have claimed 1, an u21 All-Ireland for Tyrone against Tipperary. They took a shortcut to All-Irelands in the 00s, developing awful systems rather than players, and are paying a big price now.

4 Likes

Andy Moran

1 Like

He had a decent innings, to be fair.

That’s disappointing, I thought his performances this year showed he still had something to offer

One of the very best not to win the big one

A few years ago the GAA did a team of the best players never to win an All-Ireland

In a few years time that team may be made up pretty much exclusively of Mayo players

A very exciting player.

Himself and donal o Grady limerick are the two best players not to win an all Ireland final in football and hurling imo

A very fine player but Im not sure about him being one of the best to never win an All-Ireland. He was just another middling Mayo forward until his late 20s when he kicked on a bit, and then had a couple of excellent years including winning footballer of the year. But of the forwards over the last 19 years, lads like McManus and Coulter were far better than him in every way. You can then debate lads like Mattie Forde and Meehan, with Johnny Doyle a very similar level of player to him. All that said, a great servant and a pity that like all that Mayo side his career ends with no Celtic Cross.

4 Likes

Are you on the funny stuff again?

12 Likes