Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

A serious athlete though that covered up skill deficiencies.

Dinny Allen is incredibly corkish. Jimmy kerrigan too

Fionnan Murray was corkness personified

1 Like

There could be a cuntish corkness 15 and a likeable corkness 15

3 Likes

Yeah my post wasn’t meant as a dig. He succeeded. Basically what I’m saying is that I’m not sure if he’d have succeeded anywhere else with those deficiencies.

2 Likes

I don’t think its possible to be more cork than donal og cusack

A place would have to be found for Sombrero Cyril in the back room team also.

2 Likes

Corkness Football XV

1 Billy Morgan (ruthless, a winner, Mr. Cork football, hated Kerry)
2 Tony Nation (average corner back who used Corkness to best Bernard Flynn)
3 Steven O’Brien (thrown in as an 18 year old in an All-Ireland final and swam)
4 Jimmy Kerrigan (pure Cork, as @Arthur said)
5 Noel O’Leary (loveable mentalist)
6 Conor Counihan (wily old fox who rarely if ever got caught out)
7 Tony Davis (a Garda but a likeable one, seems like he’d be a sound man to have a pint with)
8 Teddy McCarthy (he’s 15 feet above you)
9 Denis Cawwwwlan (did the classic Cork thing of playing the big ball before concentrating on what really mattered)
10 Dave Barry (an association football man, a multi-sport big ball man, the only man to score goals against Dublin and Bayern Munich)
11 Joe Kavanagh (apart from Lee Keegan one of the only players to score great goals in separate All-Ireland finals)
12 Colin Corkery (outwardly a carthorse, who at his best ran like a three year old and had the nimbleness of a ballet dancer)
13 Dinny Allen (stuck it to Hill 16 in 1983)
14 Ray Cummins (did the classic Cork thing of playing the big ball before concentrating on what really mattered)
15 Jimmy Barry-Murphy (made the crew cut a fashion statement in a time of Rapunzel hair)

4 Likes

Disappointed Kev didn’t make it as S&C coach

8 Likes

No Dr Con?

I’m glad you resisted the temptation to put the two Kildare men in

1 Like

I think that’s just the way he talks though. Sure he did all his second level and college education through Irish as far as I know. He’d surely be well able to speak it.

Hard to imagine a Cork football team without Graham Canty at 6 in those big Uhlsport gloves. You’re right though, he probably doesn’t have that inner Corkness. He always seemed like a low-key, unassuming type.

I’d say you’d do a great Wexfordness XV.

1 Like

The Pure Monaghan XV

A team to represent the land of drumlins, poets, poultry and Protestants*

1 Rory Beggan (Old cannonball boot)
2 Eugene Sherry (Sweet as sherry, except if you’re being marked by him)
3 Gerry McCarville (Feared, revered, Ulster’s Mick Lyons, had the air of Slab Murphy about him)
4 Drew Wylie (You can’t have a Monaghan team without a Protestant)
5 Vinnie Corey (Loves his county so much he agreed to be saddled with the task of managing their inevitable decline when they couldn’t get anybody else to do it)
6 Fintan Duffy (The F, The I, the NTY)
7 Dessie Mone (Stage Monaghan character with a name to match, considered a national joke until he turned in a Man Of The Match performance in an Ulster final)
8 Darren Cues (Sub goalkeeper, amateur hairstylist, puppy strong)
9 Kieran Cues (Has seen so many red cards that he dresses up as one for Halloween)
10 Peter Duffy (The sort of lad who probably had a beard at under 14 level)
11 Ray McCarron (Portly genius)
12 Rory Woods (Not fat, big boned)
13 Nudie Hughes (A true story, Monaghan played Cavan in the first round of the 1988 Ulster Championship, Nudie is being marked by an unnamed Cavan man, Nudie says to the Cavan man, “have you ever seen a crowd on that there Hill like the one today, have you ever seen anything like it?” Cavan man momentarily loses concentration, Nudie drops him in a flash and gets the ball and scores a point. This is probably not true but it is true because it’s Nudie.)
14 Gary Mohan (Hit the diff and let the bull loose)
15 Stephen McGinnitty (Utter pest of a tubby corner forward who threatened to single handedly derail all of Ulster’s Big Ds of the early 90s)

Subs:
Hugo Clerkin (You can’t have a country ‘n’ Irish team without somebody called Hugo)
Jap Finlay (I don’t remember Jap but you don’t pick up a nickname like Jap if you don’t have something about you, and is there a more Monaghan place on earth than Ballybay? No.)
Paul Finlay (The rising son of Jap)
Paul Finlay’s son (I’m not even sure if he has one but if he does there’s a place on the bench for him)
Owen Duffy (I can’t remember much about Owen but he was always there)
Dermot Malone (I can’t remember much about Dermot but he was always there)
Dick Clerkin (Company Man)
Eoin Lennon (Dick Clerkin’s understudy, now that is a man with no ego who will give total service to the cause)
Declan Loughman (Plays anywhere, probably still plays)
Eamon McEneaney (Not fat enough to start)
@Tank (I imagine he’d get a red card after 40 seconds on the pitch)
Patrick Kavanagh (He knew how to sit on a bench)

Omitted: Conor McManus (“Mansy”? FFS sake.)

Manager: Banty McEnaney (thick tongued mumble)
Chairman: Sean McCague (less thick tongued mumble)
Selectors: A boxer, a playwright, a comedian, a well known former referee
Regrets: That Monaghan weren’t on the 2018 edition of Up For The Match

*A higher than average amount of

4 Likes

Like a football version of John Carroll. I was in awe of a goal he scored against Fermanagh in my Sam 02’ video. Rory Gallagher gave a point scoring exhibition in the same game.

Very well put.

Can you include non-Wexford natives on a Pure Wexfordness team?

You’re the Liam Griffin or John Conran in this case. A transfer in would be perfectly acceptable if they’re a good one.

Pure Wexfordness XV

I’m including one non-Wexford native here. Sorry Nick O’Donnell.

1 Art Foley (the second member of the forum to get picked in this series after @Tank, and the hardest selection decision of the lot)
2 Bobby Rackard (He attended the 1994 All-Ireland football final between Dublin and Down in the Cusack Stand near to Hill 16, one for the Celebrity Spot Part Deux thread)
3 Darragh Ryan (His display of catching against Limerick in 2001 was a homage to Billy Rackard)
4 John O’Connor (His wide from an easy-ish free with the last puck of the 1993 National League final replay against Cork was pure Wexford)
5 Jim English (Oh…oh…he’s an alien, he’s legal alien, he’s an Englishman in Wexford. And also later Carlow, where he developed the Carlow championships into box office attractions. Survivor of 1798.)
6 Billy Rackard (the pioneer of “the catch”, a long time before Dwight Clark of the San Francisco 49ers ever did it, outraged the fíor Gaels)
7 Larry O’Gorman (Sunday Game pundit extraordinaire, brought precisely 0% of the cut and cheeky charm he brought to the hurling pitch)
8 George O’Connor (You generally don’t get to choose your own ending, and this man was no exception, the choice was made for him)
9 Ned Wheeler (In the winter of 1991/92 I did two things, I listened to my oul’ fella and the late, great Arthur Murphy (not of Mailbag) have endless conversations about 1950s and 1960s hurling, mainly Wexford, on Sundays around 5pm in the Bohemian pub, and I found a treasure trove of many hundreds of old match programmes in my granny’s garage off the Whitworth Road. I perused them lovingly and became fascinated with an illustration of a goal this man scored in the 1962 All-Ireland final, which featured on the front cover of the programme of the 1965 final, and spent months trying to emulate it against the door of my garage. I imagined him as the Elvis of hurling. Even his name fascinated me. He’s Wexford enough for me.)
10 Martin Storey (played hockey, I might be seeing him soon in his role as a psychiatric nurse, and if so, I’d like to thank him, I’d like to thank, I’d like to thank…)
11 Paudge Kehoe (Another old timer I used to hear a lot about in the pub)
12 Larry Murphy (Very dangerous in Leinster in the mid to late 1990s)
13 Nicky Rackard (Long before London had its 7/7 Wexford had its own 7-7 attack on a little piece of the UK, himself and Foley ended the era of Ring, a bit like the era of Arsene Wenger was ended in 2007 or the era of Mickey Harte was ended in 2009)
14 Tony Doran (wrecking ball, could level whole counties in five seconds flat)
15 Jimmy Holohan (As a child I considered Jimmy Holohan a tragic figure, symbolic of Wexford’s eternal optimism yet eternal disappointment, and that is what he turned out to be)

Subs

Billy Byrne (And here he comes…a mid to late 90s Irish summer ritual)
Damien Fitzhenry (As pure Wexford as a rissole and still doesn’t make the starting line-up)
Tom Dempsey (loves Kilkenny so he’s not getting on the pitch)
Tim Flood (Yet another old timer I used to hear a lot about, though I’m sure he was a household name for most lads growing up in Dublin in the early 90s, ah yeah)
Phil Wilson (Ended his illustrious career in disgrace after getting sent off for lowering the blade on Kilkenny in 1974, so I was told…that’s not ending your career in disgrace, that’s ending your career in a blaze of glory, like Zidane. Very few get to choose their own ending.)
Martin Quigley (Destined to toil and toil and toil)
Adrian Fenlon (old school stylist who could play it any way you like, until Tom Kenny ran away from him)
Sean Flood (unluckily left on the sidelines for the big game again)
Lee Chin (Chin can cook up a hurling feast, he’s number 24 here)
Paul Codd (Number 25 but our number one potato)
Michael Jacob (If we need a Hail Mary - and let’s face it, it’s Wexford, so we probably will)

Manager: Liam Griffin
Selectors: The cast of Riverdance
Transport: Nobody leaves the borders of Wexford in a car or on a bus or a train or a plane, they’ll dance over that crossroads as if their life depends on it.

13 Likes

I know people are getting bored of these now. It’s OK, so am I.

1 Like