RIP Paidi O'Shea

I remember playing probably my first game of pool in that pub as well with my auld fella when i was very young. He was a character for sure and a legend of the GAA. Sad and shocking for his family so close to Christmas.

yes- but its a local game- Top sportsmen and women are measured against the worlds best not the best that sligo or fermanagh have to offer

RIP. I met him a couple of times-he was rough and ready but a thoroughly decent sort. 57 very young-he was a force of nature in person.

So he should be remembered more so as a publican that owned a boozer that was a great place for fellas to introduce their kids to drink and pool, sounds like quite a character allright, very sad for the family so close to christamas that he has passed away tho

what does that mean- I guess its a nice way of saying something negative about him?

Gone to the big Fianna Fail tent in the sky with his good friend Charlie Haughey.

Only 57, Jesus. Great achievement winning the Leinster title with Westmeath that time, they’ll probably never win it again.

RIP.

May he rest in peace! Too young, very nice man in person.

A proper gael!

RIP Paidi

I, along with every other poster I would imagine, knew before opening this thread that you and mickee would be on trying to be controversial. It is very tired and predictable and rarely funny. I understand that both of you live in warzones and fear for your lives on a daily basis so I suppose lashing out here is better than lashing out at your nearest and dearest. Stay safe mate.

I dont think we have said anything controversial mate-dont know much about O’Shea but wasnt into hearing hyperbole

with you all I was doing is trying to see what you meant by your comment

not sure his managerial stints outside of kerry should be mentioned in his obituary. if he was a figurehead with westmeath, that was about the size of it. his lifestyle off the pitch in recent years hardly did his health any favours.

RIP. Probably didnt get the credit he deserved for bringing Sam back to Kerry after 11 years in the wilderness either. involved in a couple of memorable tussles with Galway where he and Kerry came out on top.

It is a fairly common phrase to describe a larger than life character mate. It is not a negative comment-I would have thought that was fairly clear but I am happy to explain things to slow people who don’t pick things up as quickly as other people.

He was a disaster in his brief time with Clare but he dragged Westmeath over the line. Like I said it probably won’t be done again, not in my lifetime anyway.

His brother - the father of Dara, Tomas and Marc - died a few years back and was only a young man too, I think.

Some people here saying 57 is young. Sure you could even have great grand children at that age.

[font=tahoma][size=3]I, along with every other poster I would imagine, knew before opening this thread that you would post an insightful comment[/size][/font]

:rolleyes:

awful man for the sauce

[quote=“The All Seeing Eye, post: 729920”]

[font=tahoma][size=3]I, along with every other poster I would imagine, knew before opening this thread that you would post an insightful comment[/size][/font]
[/quote]I was shocked there was no picture

Very sad news that such a legend of the game has died at such a young age. I’m more than willing to overlook Paidi’s Fianna Fail background in favour of his Irish Republican credentials. He was very gracious after Armagh beat Kerry in 2002.

He won’t go down as one of the great managers but undoubtedly was a good one. He oversaw Kerry’s emergence from the doldrums, winning two U-21 All-Irelands and then a Munster title in his first year as senior manager, following it up with the League and All-Ireland in 1997. That was a poor team and he deserves a lot of credit for delivering an All-Ireland. The 2000 team was considerably better and that was probably Kerry’s best ever All-Ireland. I attended the two semi-finals against Armagh that year and they were titanic matches. The finals against Galway were very exciting matches too. That Kerry team were involved in some more titanic matches over the next couple of years also, most memorably against Dublin in Thurles and that final against Armagh. They played a superb brand of football and Paidi oversaw that. Winning a Leinster title with Westmeath was another great achievement.

A massive character and the GAA scene will be duller in his absence.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 729924”]The 2000 team was considerably better and that was probably Kerry’s best ever All-Ireland. I attended the two semi-finals against Armagh that year and they were titanic matches. The finals against Galway were very exciting matches too. That Kerry team were involved in some more titanic matches over the next couple of years also, most memorably against Dublin in Thurles and that final against Armagh.
[/quote]
After starting slowly Galway had them reeling by the end in the first game in 00 and should have won only for a few lame late kicks into the greatful arms of Declan O Keefe, one most gallingly by Derek Savage from 20 yards with Paraic Joyce open to his right. The replay does not count as a real all Ireland as it was played on a saturday although it is remembered for precipitating an an era of dominance by Kerry over Galway which alas, continues to this day.

of course he was inhospitable towards you. A smart piece of publicanism. How could he have a roaring asshole like you pissing off his best juicers while you were sipping out of a glass of miwadi orange for the night