Rocko's Theatre Review Thread

:smiley: I’ve been taking pms on the matter for the last 24 hrs. regular forumites are afraid to discuss their love of the stage for fear of name calling from the likes of ye philistines. one even remarked to me that it was “e-suicide” to be caught talking about plays on the internet

name & shame so we can bury the poster

Oh dear.

Jog on there palso.

:smiley:

Play: John Gabriel Borkman
Venue: Abbey Theatre

Attended this play last night. Resurrected by the Abbey because there is some resonance with today’s world in that it’s about a corrupt banker from the 19th Century(ish) who hasn’t quite understood the effects of what he has done. And the shame he has brought on his family.

First act is sharp enough with decent dialogue, a small bit of comedy (though I felt the audience were too quick to laugh at a few lines that weren’t really there for comedic effect) and a smattering of tension. Not the greatest beginning to a play ever but it sets it up promisingly.

It’s brutal after the interval though. The denouement comes far too quickly which leaves us with a drawn out series of monologues on the past that have little relevance for the audience and the themes are too personal and ethereal to resonate.

Ratings:

Play: 4/10
Production: 5/10
Set: 6/10 (impressive construction but the actors dragging snow around the “inside” part of the house is a distraction.

Performances:
Rickman: 6/10 (not a great role and he’s good in the first act but he loses all presence by the end)
Shaw: 8/10 (easily the strongest performance in my opinion, though others in my company disagreed).
Her sister: 4/10 (weak enough)
Young man: 5/10 (insipid)
Old man: 7/10 (strong effort)
Young lady - not on long enough to rate.

What the fuck has happened theatre in this country? Ever since we got the Grand Canal theatre we’ve been innundated with sub West End imports that all get great advertising time on RTÉ. The old tagline of “RTÉ supporting the arts” which used to follow radio ads for a half-way cultural event is now replaced by RTÉ giving free publicity to sing-a-longs and cabaret acts.

I’m also upset by the use of AA Roadwatch as a publicity vehicle for the Grand Canal Theatre. Nearly every morning we’re told that there may be traffic around the docklands because Dirty Dancing is playing to large crowds at the theatre. Do they pay to get this included?

Anyway apart from the advertising side of things we are currently subjected to:

Susan Boyle. Some sort of musical tribute celebrating the life of Susan Boyle and featuring a guest appearance from Susan Boyle herself. I’ve never heard of anything more horrific in my life.

Greener: the latest hilarious play from Fiona Looney. This seems to be a follow-up to Dandelions which was apparently some horror-show inflicted on the Irish public a few years ago.

Street of Dreams - a Coronation Street musical - is on its way to the O2 soon.

Even in the Abbey we’ve just had Bookworms (another bland comedy, this time about a book club) and now the main attraction is Alice in Funderland.

I for one welcome the arrival of the Bord Gais Energy Theatre. It has provided numerous options for birthday and christmas presents for her indoors and also prevents trips to London being hijacked by a visit to the West End.
It also provides much needed additional employment to freelance journalists like Alison O’Riordan who can be at the theatre for work in 3 minutes from her apatrtment to shovel out pocorn and sell oversized and overpriced programmes.

Rocko, when can we expect your review of Tom Barry - Guerilla Days in Ireland?

This is coming to a theater near me soon and I may make this the first proper play I’ve gone to see since school

I will be going to this at the weekend and will review it for you Runt

I can confirm that Rocko is attending this production TONIGHT!

Incredible scenes!

the worst movie ever made is better than the best play ever made

As a regular theatre goer I can confirm that Tase is talking utter shite here.

+1

A night at the theatre is a great night out. Recently attended Glengarry Glen Ross at The Gate and Tom Murphy’s The House at The Abbey. Both were very enjoyable.

Indeed. I attended Juno and the Paycock recently and will be going to the Plough and the Stars next week. Juno was super and I expect the plough to be similar.

Thinking of going to Tom Barry’s ‘Guerrilla days in Ireland.’ Anyone seen it ?

Going at the weekend. Der Fuehrer is going to see it TONIGHT!

I thought GGR was terrific. 9/10

I’d give Plough and the Stars 6/10. I’m deducting one mark for the cheap non-theatre standard seating at Belvedere where they’re all joined together.

Wow that is some coincidence. And I’d only discussed my recent theatre record with Bandage at lunch today.

Guerilla Days in Ireland

I read the book as a teenager and to be frank thought it was a bit over-rated as an iconic account at the time but approached the theatre adaptation with enthusiasm given my republican beliefs, my love for the arts and my West Cork background.

The Venue

I selected a quartet of terrific seats for myself and my companions for tonight’s performance but The Olympia really isn’t a great venue for serious theatre. Much like Belvedere we were subjected to seats attached to bars joined together so a move from one person on the row resulted in everyone else shifting around uncomfortably. With added squeaks and a chair seat that wouldn’t quite settle on the level (it was angled slightly forward) it was a poor experience from a comfort experience.

There was a degree of munching and rustling throughout, adding further to the impression that the Olympia is better suited to pantomimes. That said, I did avail of a packet of Murray Mints from the shop beforehand and a can of sprite. I came quite close to choking on a mint because I suffered reflux from the Sprite (a condition I know about so I don’t know why I chose to get a Sprite anyway) and ended up coughing myself for a lengthy period during the first act. I managed a Maxi Twist ice cream at the interval and it was divine.

The Play

The play is an interesting mix of narration, multimedia, multi-role acting, some moments of comedy, some mime, lots of sound effects, strobe lighting and a few other features I wasn’t expecting. I wasn’t really sure how the book would become a play and it’s certainly a decent effort at a conversion but I’m not sure it’s all that thrilling or engaging anyway. There’s only one real consistent character (obviously I suppose) and there are few opportunities for dialogue - relying instead on monologues and re-enactments with narration.

It improves in the second and third acts, with a bit more drama and engagement, plus there’s more names dropped in terms of famous characters and events that gives it a bit more relevance to the audience. By the end I was properly engaged, but while it’s emotional sometimes certainly it’s very much a light-hearted portrayal of the book and becomes enjoyable rather than overpowering.

The Performance

I am brutal at recognising faces and the cast of a dozen or so actors that I thought I saw turned out to be just 4 playing multiple parts. Some played some parts better than others and again I thought it was unconvincing earlier on but improved as it went on - possibly the actors relaxed into their roles once I was over my coughing fit.

The Set

There is some reasonable lighting and sound effects and all that jazz but the actual physical props and stage are woeful I’m afraid. Cheap as shit.

Rating:
Play - 6.5/10
Performance - 6.5/10
Set - 3/10
Interval Snack - 9.5/10

Average - between 6 and 7 by my reckoning.

http://ballymoreshoponline.stormwebhost.com/prodimages/Maxi%20Twist.JPG

A wonderful review…

I’ll have the opportunity to see it in a brand new theatre, very spacious and with comfortable seats . I’ll also only have to pay half price, which means I really can’t afford not to go, even if Tom Barry was a cork cunt.

I don’t understand the seat description. Is it like a Fussball table with everyone moving over and back in sync?