Rocko's Theatre Review Thread

Attended my first bit of theatre this week last night. Turned my nose up at a chance to meet Bandage, Clarkeycat, Appendage (I think) and Cesc 4 to watch Long Day’s Journey Into Night at the Gaiety. Disappointed at missing out on a few drinks but if you want to hold onto your showbiz mates you have to be seen at the theatre once in a while. It’s a bit like when you sometimes see Charlotte Church at the rugby.

Anyway onwards to the event. Regrettably it’s difficult to assess the performance and the play without first discussing the atmosphere. Despite buying tickets in the second price bracket (the top class tickets were already sold out) I found myself perched high in the auditorium at an incredibly awkward viewing article. I cursed not having brought along a pair of theatre glasses because it was nigh on impossible to see the stage properly from so far back.

The viewing environment was not helped by two further factors. Firstly it was oppressingly hot last night in the Gaiety. I honestly don’t think I’ve known heat like it. There were mutterings in the interval (and at other times - of which more anon) about complaints being met by excuses of failed air conditioning but a theatre hardly relies on electric air conditioning during a performance. During the third act those on either side of me had drifted asleep and a glance around revealed that close to 20% of those in attendace were having a nap. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Secondly the noise levels were a bit much. The play is extremely long (4 and a half hours with intervals) and this caused restlessness and some people started chattering away. There were those opening and eating bags of crisps and popcorn, people arriving late and leaving early, general chit-chat, moving seats, complaints about the heat. Very loud and very distracting.

The play itself was decent but it was badly affected by the atmosphere as described. I’d like to say I enjoyed it but while there was some good dialogue and a couple of very good performances the whole thing was ruined by the venue.

3/10

A four and a half hour play. Christ, I’d rather go to jail in Derry like the Bohs lads than sit through that. My last visit to the theatre was in New York a few years back when we went to see The Lion King. I spent most of the evening catching up on sleep too.

It was a bit much in terms of length alright. Play started at 7 which only gave me a chance for a very speedy Eddie Rockett’s after work. Then we emerged at about 11:40 to get a taxi home. Didn’t even get to go on TFK last night because I was wrecked by the time I got home.

There were those opening and eating bags of crisps and popcorn, people arriving late and leaving early, general chit-chat, moving seats, complaints about the heat. Very loud and very distracting.

I really think there should be a ban on popcorn in the flicks/theatre. I really get pissed off with straining to listen to the film over the crunching and munching. I actually go to the pictures at 10am in Cineplex, 5 in, no kids, no munching and no talking over the flick means you actually get to “enjoy” the show. Early Bird Cinema value!

weirdo

Well unlike the eejits who go to the cinema at 9pm (when they should be downing pints), I actually get to enjoy the whole film, I also don’t have to pay 10 for the privillage!

i’ve heard about that play, apparently quite heavy going too, four and a half hours is simply ridiculous. my folks were at the playboy of the western world during the week, roddy doyle has had a hand in updating it and by all accounts it’s quite good. i hope to attend in the coming weeks and will revert to the forum with comments.

I’m attending that tomorrow bhoy so I’ll add to this thread with my thoughts.

eager to read the review. why the theatre attendance all of a sudden. fed up with other forms of entertainment?

Dublin Theatre Festival is on at the moment - so that’s probably the main reason.

Anyway went to The Abbey on Friday for Playboy of the Western World. First a note on the venue - I’ve attended two plays now since the Abbey was refurshibed last year and it’s a cracking venue. The viewing angles are excellent, the seating is spacious and comfortable and the acoustics are bang on. Made for a refreshing change from the Gaiety’s nonsense.

The play itself is a good laugh. It’s far more of a re-write than I had expected, I thought it was going to be a slight modernisation, but in fact it’s an entirely new play. The basic plot and the themes are obviously taken from the original Playboy of the Western World but other than character names everything else has changed.

The set is excellent and the acting is top drawer. The play itself shouldn’t be taken too seriously - and it’s a healthy reflection on its quality that the entire audience laughed for much of the production. There are some decent lines in it, some clever references to the original play and the modern urban touch seems very authentic.

7/10

Glad to hear it’s being brought to modern day standards. I remember reading the play in school, it was torture!

While I’m on the theatre thread has anybody seen “Waiting for Ikia”, it was on in the Bewleys cafe on Grafton Street. It revolved around the life of two working class young women who were waiting for Ikia I assume, it was meant to be ‘ferry funny’!

Death of a Salesman

Gate Theatre, Dublin, Eastern Seaboard

Excellent production of an excellent play. 9/10

Recommended to: Flano, Tipping King, people of moderate to high intellect.

good man rocko, went to this myself last week. actually the night mick lally died… didnt think he’d have had much of a link with the gate but they had a nice tribute to him afterwards…

wouldnt mind getting along to druids the silver tassie during this october festival.

:rolleyes:

+1

:lol: :lol:

Right on cue.

FFS

:rolleyes:
what a surprise. tony dorigo is roll eyes shocker.

get back to chatting about the state of the roads and fancy sandwiches and let the rest of us get on with the arts.

the rest of us ?? there have been 10 replies in 3 years & have of them have been :rolleyes: :lol: :o :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: