Rocko's Theatre Review Thread

Went to see ‘Tuesday’s with Morrie’ in the Gaiety tonight, a very enjoyable show about life and death relayed through lots of humours moments.

8/10.

[quote=“ChocolateMice, post: 42547”]Went to see ‘Tuesday’s with Morrie’ in the Gaiety tonight, a very enjoyable show about life and death relayed through lots of humours moments.

8/10.[/quote]

Going to that tonight. I saw it previously in the Viking in Clontarf, and wasn’t sure how it would work in the bigger venue.

I didn’t know what I was going to see until I got there as the person who organized it wanted it to be a surprise, which added to it I guess.

Attended the Nutcracker performed by the Perm State Ballet of Russia in the Grand Canal Theatre tonight. A feast for the senses. Incredible scenes.

:clap:

Tonight I attended the Dead in the Abbey Theatre. This adaptation of James Joyce’s best short story by Frank McGuinness had received a surprisingly lukewarm review in the Irish Times so I wasn’t expecting much.

Well I can only conclude that the Irish Times reviewer was in his flowers on the night in question. This show, which is a world premiere is a triumph from start to finish. Those of you who have seen the John Huston adaptation of the Dead for the big screen wil, be somewhat surprised at how many laughs McGuinness extracts from the material. Lorcan Cranitch as the habitual drunk Freddie Mallins and Rosaleen Linehan as his overbearing mother are outstanding in this regard. An old pal of mine Derbhle Crotty adds significant depth as Gretta Conroy.

The show provides a vivid picture of the mores of pre revolutionary Ireland and there is plenty of tension between Catholics and Prods and Gaels and West Brits. The sets are top class to boot.

9/10.

I should also add that the little booklet they gave out which was a script and a program was top class.

Great to read a glowing review, I must make it my business to go along to this one, I must also pull out Dubliners again, haven’t read it in nearly 20 years. I would have liked to have written a review for the Wagner concert I attended last night only there’s no thread for classical music concert reviews.

i think imabiggaypopmposmuldoon.com are looking for a reviewer like you

[quote=“The All Seeing Eye, post: 42555”]

i think imabiggaypopmposmuldoon.com are looking for a reviewer like you[/quote]

What does popmpos mean?

The Dead seems to be sold out for the rest of its run.

Lookit I know you’re sick that you’re a nobody now that you’re posting when the civilised world has gone to bed but really this attention seeking is doing you no favours mate. Accept your place as the fifth or sixth most important antipodean poster on here and get on with it. You can poke around on the TFK Nightwatchman’s thread or something.

Glad to hear it and well deserved.

Fantastic to hear Fagan. I watched the Dead on Stephens night, as is my annual tradition, my favourite film. Who played Gabriel?

Actor called Stanley Townsend. Reviewers would have identified him as a weak link in the production. In general I would have thought that this production is a sure fire winner for the Abbey and they will pack the place out every Christmas with this.

I can’t actually remember it ever being on stage, surprising as it obviously lends itself to live performance. Any chance of a scan of some of the program Fagan?

I think the copyright has just expired on Dubliners, hence the new theatre productions and new editions of the book etc.

Has anyone been to the Ladykillers in the BGE THEATRE?

Going Saturday Night

Keep an eye out for me so Scrunchie.