Roscommon clg

05 October 2005
’Slagging made me pay up’ - Murphy

Roscommon GAA benefactor John Murphy has revealed that being on the receiving end of jibes about Roscommon’s poor performances convinced him to bail the county board out with a one million euros in interest-free loan.

The self-made millionaire said that being slagged about his native county’s problems from people all around the county persuaded him to make his donation.

"People know I am a GAA man so they would mention Roscommon to me.

"I decided recently after talking to Eamon Campion who is a GAA official in the county, that I would do something to help out.

"I met with county secretary Frank Denneny and acting chairman Michael McGuire, and I was impressed with them.

"There are no strings attached to my loan - except that I will get the one million back in seven years.

“Central Council of the GAA have guaranteed that.”

07 January 2010
Roscommon seeks more time to repay EUR1m loan

Roscommon county board officials are to ask Croke Park for more time to repay a EUR1 million loan to a local businessman who saved them from financial ruin almost five years ago.

Croke Park guaranteed the massive interest-free loan which was given by Castlerea man John Murphy in 2005 and which must be repaid by 2012.

Roscommon established a fund to repay the money to Croke Park and while over EUR200,000 has been paid into an account and the loan repayment is not due for another two years, cash-strapped county board chiefs are looking for an extension of time of 10 to 15 years to reimburse GAA top brass.

They want Croke Park to repay the loan in full in 2012 and allow them more time to reimburse the GAA hierarchy.

Roscommon chairman Michael McGuire told the recent county convention that the issue was being addressed now because it was clear that they would not have the full amount in October 2012 when the loan is due to be repaid in full.

Quoted in the Irish Examiner, McGuire said: “It is good financial management to address this now and we understand Croke Park will respond in a positive manner to our request.”

Confirming that discussions are currently taking place with Croke Park, Roscommon county board auditor Sean Mulhern said: "A sinking fund account was set up in 2006 in order to meet the repayment on the John Murphy loan.

“To date, EUR203,746 has been lodged to the Croke Park deposit account for this purpose.”

Roscommon is arguably the most ignorant and backward place in the country, IMO.

Fook off, ncc you utter utter cunt of a man…

Dibs on Donie.

:clap:

:clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mr Totti has been a very good addition to this forum.

Oh I’d rather be a…

than a Ross.

You’re not gonna lose you job.

Y’know…

Where is this Roscommon place of which ye speak?

The other what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyzactbNw2A

:hushed:

:anguished::anguished::anguished::anguished::anguished::anguished:

What’s clg mate?

I hope they have an hour long episode following McStay during and after the defeat to Mayo.

think it translates as Gaelic Game Associates

Credit where its due, this is great stuff from AIB tbf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PguuK33tllU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g06cIKHvefs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyKE9YcjGio

1 Like

Enjoyed that. Mcstay v good at HT in final.

Really? I think he is full of generalistic nonsense and that always gets found out eventually.

Wgere was the re-emphasising of tactical philosophies or a players role or team roles.

Liam Mc is keeping him afloat. You can here the proper coach speak from him.
McStay is all “uggy uggy uggy shite”. Little purpose to what he is saying and making them too emotional.

They are a likable team though. Just an awful pity they don’t have a bit of size and they could leave Smith up front the whole time.

1 Like

We didnt see the full HT so prob didnt see any tactical pieces as it was probably boring and he might not have wanted it shown. I thought clip we saw he was relatively calm and delivered a strong message i.e. i expected us to be here. Dont panic

At 7 points up at ht you dont need to change much up just keep lads on the go

1 Like

I imagine a media savvy McStay had control over what went out and what didn’t. No way he’s giving out too much outside the usual, but it was an interesting look behind the gates so to speak. Great propoganda piece.