Roughest Pubs in Ireland

How about we start a separate thread on rough pubs and move the talk there?

1 Like

@caulifloweredneanderthal is that where we went?

Classic Dublin, roughest pub in Ireland, also, it’s now €400k apartments

Funny enough I walked in there only last week after work for 1 pint. Car was in the mechanic so I was getting the bus home & I strolled up before it came. Jesus that is one dive of a pub. About 4:30pm, lads legless in there, horse racing on. Solid pint of Guinness all the same.

Gerry Powers in Limerick is grand lads, it just looks tough from the outside.

I’ve never been in it, but the North Star looks a proper rough spot, going by he outside and the clientele you’d see milling about. There’s no pub in the really rough parts of Limerick anymore is there? There’s hardly any pub in the city centre I haven’t been in, all of them fine.

Dublin wise, most of the places that look rough are actually grand. I used to love going into these shithole bars that most people wouldn’t, had a few great nights in them.
I’d an early pint in the Windjammer one morning and there was a serious air of tension in the place, got out of there sharpish. But again that area is being gentrified at a rate of knots. The windjammer will probably be selling IPA in a few years, if it isn’t already.

Thanks @Rocko

1 Like

What was the place on Nicholas Street by the st. Marys, it’s cafe now, or was. That was rough as fuck. The Rock bar could be rough.

I’d say the rough crowd have been largely priced out of bars in recent years.

Nicholas Street is full of cool kids like @backinatracksuit now. It’s funny how it goes around

You’re not gonna get a slap if that’s the barometer but it’s a shit hole inside it

1 Like

It used to be frequented a lot by the workers in the glass factory across the road. I knew of a few who said they went in regularly for a pint or two on lunch break.
Not sure was it that rough then or just a worn down clientele.

In later years there was a rough old element in there. The pub itself was in a bad state of disrepair by that stage too, so it looked and was a right dive.

There was a pub in Limerick (maybe still there?) called the Steering wheel. Not sure if it was rough or not but a hardy few were in there the day we popped in for a while before a Waterford United game.

Are we talking rough as in kip or rough as in dangerous

North Star is fine, no issues in there so that’s another one ruled out.

I drank in the Windjammer in a tux once or twice in my student days. Maybe was just too naive / drunk to feel the tension you refer to, didn’t have any problems there anyway.

It’s a more interesting sociological discussion about what does ‘rough’ mean or what do we mean by ‘rough’? Very hard to define

I’d say rough as in dangerous tbf

I was there a few years ago. One of our group produced old currency to pay for a drink.

Twas grand.

Some heads outside it. The mecca of locals who spend their day on willium street

Gerry’s doesn’t cut it for the 2 lads.

That’s where we went for my stag.

2 Likes

I would go with the moose, many will disagree but Having lived near it and seeing the clientèle that frequent it, knowing them from a past job i fear i would get stabbed if they recognised me.

There’s a few pubs in Summerhill in Dublin including the Brendan Behan (née Sunset House) I’d be wary of going into outside of a match day and some of them on a match day