Rugby Summer Tour

It’s hilarious listening to Gerry thornley saying how much of a massive mistake it was not starting sexton v the bulls. Completing ignoring the fact he was a non event v La Rochelle two weeks and looked totally passed it.

You’d also just wonder at this stage are you better off dropping Conor Murray and giving a good break and lay down the marker to him. Doak and Casey also need experience at 9.

I appreciate you want some experience going to New Zealand just in case things get ropey.

1 Like

The legacy of that 2019 defeat to Japan still lingers for Carty at international level. A grand player at provincial level but not top international class at this stage.

That’s exactly it. He’s just a grand player but he isn’t related to a top level ten. Must be close to 30 at this stage.

I’d say that’s where they are all at tbh.

I don’t understand why that match attaches to him and none of the rest of them that were bet up a stick that day, as if carty could have turned it on his own, the responsibility for that rested with Schmidt who made a hames of the whole thing. Pure nonsense attaching that to carty.

1 Like

Agreed. He started v well
A few glaring errors as the game went on but he wasn’t alone in that. The nature of being the 10 though… 99% of viewers won’t know that the tight head is being screwed or that the 2nd rows are a beat too slow to the rucks etc…

The fact he couldn’t get a game for a Connacht the same season surely comes in for it ?

The team were shit and beaten all over the field by a team they expected to steamroll over but one player gets the blame, it’s a nonsense.

Comes in for what? Schmidt was happy to start him at the wc

You make it out it’s something to do with the Japan game. He was dropped by Connacht for plenty of games.

The only reason he was playing v Japan was because carberry was injured.

He was injured for loads of that season. He fell off a waterslide or something on his holidays… Lam was raging with him

The only reason carthy got to the World Cup was Ross Byrne had an absolute nightmare in a warm up game v England I think it was.

Frawley might be the best of all of them.

2 Likes

Doak should’ve gone instead of Murray.

1 Like

What’s your point? That he was in the top three choices for outhalf?

I don’t think he was a realistic choice is my point. The only reason he was picked was because of injuries.

He was third choice and there were injuries, there usually are.

Forth choice as far as I recall. Ross Byrne was woeful against England in a warm up game and lost his place.

Do you have any idea how contradictory that statement is?