Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

No idea. I haven’t been following this story, if it is even still a story.

The right to bear the flag of the pre 1994, Republic of South Africa flag was constitutionally safeguarded in the free speech provisions of the Constitution of South Africa that was adopted in conjunction with the 1994 elections and the flag was never banned in South Africa. Its rare you see one on display now though. I saw an odd one from time to time when I was in South Africa over the years and I can’t recall seeing one at a South African rugby match that I’ve either attended or watched on television since the mid 1990’s. In line with the constitutional guarantee in South Africa, it is constitutionally permissible to bear such a flag at a rugby match in South Africa, even if in practice, it rarely happens. I’d be surprised if it was prohibited to bear the pre-1994 flag of the Republic in New Zealand, but I couldn’t be sure as to the legal position in New Zealand.

Its abhorrent though, yeah?

1 Like

Yes, it is distasteful to display it, in light of the historical connotations that are associated with it. All the more so, in light of the excellent work that Rassie Erasmus has done as South African coach in getting on top of the racial divisions that have continued to bedevil South African rugby up until very recently and the multi-cultural nature of the current South African team.

I don’t belive displaying it broke any law, either in New Zealand or of the IRB though, so I don’t see the basis for this ban that you seem to think is a possibility.

I hadn’t heard anything about this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy. What match was this flag displayed at? Was it a recent encounter?

Yes, it’s tarnished their victory over NZ

Odd that the robbed guys on here haven’t discussed this

1 Like

How has it tarnished it?

Waving the apartheid flags proves that rugby is the sport of the whites in Africa

Some other African qualified, guess what, 95% o the players are white

An Australia was racially abused by his own fans too

2 Likes

Racism is inherent amongst rugby types

1 Like

It seems so

1 Like

Wow. Would it be akin to German national team supporters flying a swastika emblazoned flag during a non-competitive game?

Who got robbed?

Yes

@gilgamboa Is goosed here, he has been exposed for not being able to bite his lip when his “favourite sport” is mocked but can’t help himself

1 Like

I know you’re Italian but you will need to make a bit more of an effort with the English

No. Not a good analogy. Displaying of Nazi paraphernalia is illegal and banned by law in Germany and most countries. I don’t believe displays of the pre 1994 flag of the South African republic is banned anywhere in the world, not in South Africa anyway.

Its probably akin to something like supporters of Glasgow Celtic displaying banners and flags of a disbanded but formerly illegal criminal organization, who murdered thousands of civilians, the IRA, at matches, a practice I believe Glasgow Celtic have been pulled up on and fined by UEFA for failure to control its fans after 17 such indiscretions.

Oooooooooooooooooooooffffffffffffffffffttttttttt

Lesson here for @Bandage to stay in his lane

Most of the racist abuse of Margaret Cash on TFK was from Munster rubby supporters too.

2 Likes

That was disgraceful alright. Some fellas have no tolerance for others

Travellers are not a race. they are an ethnic minority, ergo not racist abuse

Ethnic criticism rather than racism as Dunphy would say

Up your game. You’re having a horror show on this thread.

If you were watching the match yesterday or even took the trouble to quickly go through the twenty two South African players who saw action in Wellington yesterday, you’d find that captain Siya Kolisi, Lukhanyo Am, Aphiwe Dyantyi, Tendai Mtawarira, Bongi Mbonambi and Cheslin Kolbe are not white. That’s 72% of the players who featured for South Africa yesterday were white, not 95% as you’ve incorrectly asserted.

Makazole Mapimpi started on the wing in the first three games of the Rugby Championship but was ruled out yesterday.