Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

Yes O’Brien finished. Need an upgrade on Stander at 8 as well. He’s too one tracked. Leavy will come back into back row so that will improve things. Murray and Sexton need to recover form or else be dropped. Henshaw back in for Bundee. Best likely to still start due to lack of any alternative. Kearney is still a solid if now unspectacular option at full back if fit.

Sexton was decent last week. Not a great Championship for him, more so on the temperament front.

Murray was rotton all tournament. Likely just a blip. Poor decision not to give Marmion a good go.

O’Brien will be certainly worried. If he doesn’t get into the Leinster squad in two week’s time for the quarter final that will be compounded. I still think he has a few good games left in the tank and is a difference maker we need, but you can’t be carrying anyone.

It’s very difficult to know with Kearney as he has had some shocking games before and come back. He’ll be in the 30 come what may.

If anybody played their way out of the team yesterday, it was Healy.

Simon Zebo’s blacklisting is beginning to come home to roost.

I don’t understand why Joey Carbery hasn’t been tried at full back, or even Andrew Conway.

The positions where Ireland have the biggest problems are full back, blind side back row, and hooker.

They had problems with pretty much every position yesterday but in most cases players should be able to play their way back into form - or there are better players available in the position.

Ireland might be better off giving youth its fling in the problem positions. Wales did so in 2011 and reaped the rewards.

A strongest Ireland XV for the World Cup could look something like:
15 Carbery
14 Larmour
13 Ringrose
12 Henshaw
11 Stockdale
10 Sexton
9 Murray
1 McGrath
2 Scannell
3 Furlong
4 Ryan
5 Henderson
6 O’Mahony
7 van der Flier
8 Leavy

Now that we’ve thrown everyone off the scent, the smart money is on Ireland?

2 Likes

Is Schmidt gone?

Aki doesn’t look like he’d get dropped if he lost a leg.

Not sure why you’d drop the form winger for a player who has done nothing yet really. I think Conway deserves a chance at FB.

You’ve dropped players playing well, kept players out of form the same as Schmidt has persisted, and selected players in positions they have no record playing in.

After the World Cup.

Please don’t hate me for it. As e-coach I must do what I think is morally right for my Ireland e-team.

Declan Kidney had to do the same to Fergus McFadden. In fact every coach Fergus McFadden has ever had has had to do it to him.

I believe with every fibre of my being in these amazing guys.

That’s what people said to Trevor Francis when he picked Paul Warhurst at centre-forward.

1 Like

You’ve convinced me.

2 Likes

:smile:

Dan Leavy is OUT.

Huge loss. World class player and officer class.

Another victim of Schmidtball.

Cullenball.

You can’t be blaming Smith for this one.

Too late. It suits my narrative to do so. He came back from the 6N a shell of a man.

He didn’t play in the Championship. He was injured back in November.

Exactly.