Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

The Limerick leader fashion page didnā€™t really write that did they??

Of course they did

I think that Larry Ryan is a complete idiot. Every week in the examiner he has some article slating rugby. I get he doesnā€™t like it but heā€™s like a broken record. A mini version of Ewan McKenna . Iā€™m no great rugby fan myself but people are entitled to watch what they want.

Is he yer man that makes the stoves?

No, but that Larry Ryan is also an alright sort in spite of his sponsorship association with rubby

An absolute gentleman.

He might be a gentleman but heā€™s articles are pure scutter.

I think theyā€™re different men bro.

Funnily enough, Iā€™ve been told by the rubby crowd on here many times that Ireland were simply fierce unlucky with the amount of injuries at the last rugby world cup.

It is the same sunny optimism that ensures they are forever taken aback at how ā€œunluckyā€ a player is to suffer a horrible injury, despite working off a gameplan based on collisions.

Ah now, you canā€™t be saying that.

Ah FFS, why us ā€¦why now?

I would despair of our hopes resting on the Japanese Met Service. @TreatyStones, what is the likelihood of this match needing to be moved, and where should it be moved to?

1 Like

I donā€™t believe it can be moved. The tournament rules appear to be quite clear on this. If a pool stage match is not capable of being played in the designated venue at the designated time, its deemed a scoreless draw. Similar to what happens at the Cricket World Cup when weather intervenes.

@ChairmanDan what time is the game due to take place local time and Iā€™ll run the models.

1 Like

Gav Cummiskey in the Paper of Record is worried about Samoa

Just give me a minute, I need to dig out the wallchart.

Check the wall

2 Likes

anyway, why the fuck did Head Coach Schmidt announce that he would be leaving after the World Cup ā€¦in advance of the that World Cup?

has this ever been explored by the IRFU or whatever theyā€™re called ā€¦or the Irish media?

Thereā€™s three remaining matches in Pool A:

Wednesday: 9 October (4.15 Japan time) - Scotland v Russia in Shizuoka
Saturday: 12 October (7.45 (Japan time) - Ireland v Samoa in Fukuoka
Sunday: 13 October (7.45 Japan time) - Japan v Scotland in Yokohama

Iā€™m going to take the liberty of assuming that Scotland will secure a bonus point win over the already eliminated Russia. If Ireland v Samoa was abandoned, Ireland would be awarded two points, so the standings going into the last pool match Japan v Scotland, would be:

Japan 14
Ireland 13
Scotland 10

In that scenario, a Scotland win of any description over Japan would knock Ireland out. There is a mutually beneficial result of a Scotland win but without a bonus point which would see Japan top the group and Scotland finish in second. A bit like what Austria and West Germany did in the scummy soccer in the 1982 World Cup in their final group match to knock out Algeria or Eire and the Netherlands in the latter stages in 1990 after England had taken the lead against Egypt. This is rugby though, so I wouldnā€™t foresee such grubby, under hand carry on like that.